Anyone thinking of modding for Multiplayer? or adding Psynoic's?

Merkle

As OP states, first of all is it possible?

And would anyone actually be able to pull it off?

I would love to see a multilayer with friends in co-opt over steam.

Each with a base and we can help each other out.

Psynoics I just want, back.

(I am just assuming this is will be NO.)

It's not possible to mod the game to do that - it'd require access to the game source code. It'd also be a lot of work, multiplayer in particular would probably take us devs at least six months to implement so a modder pulling it off would be pretty unlikely.

Sorry to disappoint.

Multiplayer's not gonna happen.

I reckon you could mod in some form of psionics. I'm thinking of a psi-amp weapon with different "modules" (in actual fact, different ammo) with different effects. Stun you could do. Once aliens get proper morale, you could make a morale-breaking power, too, although it'd suppress at the same time. I don't think the abilities the aliens are able to tap into are possible, so no MC.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

Not disappointed at all. Chris your team made a great game, at a great price point.

Something to think about, you could, if you wanted, do additions to the game for a small cost.

I know I would pay for any additions right away.

Multiplayer's not gonna happen.

I reckon you could mod in some form of psionics. I'm thinking of a psi-amp weapon with different "modules" (in actual fact' date=' different ammo) with different effects. Stun you could do. Once aliens get proper morale, you could make a morale-breaking power, too, although it'd suppress at the same time. I don't think the abilities the aliens are able to tap into are possible, so no MC.[/quote']

Multiple ammunition types are hard enough to pull of with normal weapons.

Uuhh.. hot seat multiplayer addon. :P

That would be cool. The really dedicated people could basically play by e-mail, sending the save over to the other player.

Multiple ammunition types are hard enough to pull of with normal weapons.

Yeah, not to mention the difficulty of overcoming cover since it doesn't make sense that psionic attacks can hit a rock instead of that Caesan. If some brave sod wants to mod in psychic powers, though, he might be able to get something that works. I'm not that brave sod.

Chris, I sure hope you know that there were at least two times that devs said "multiplayer is impossible in this game", and modders pulled that off. :)

But then again... what would it look like?

I'm sure the people who made Kerbal Space Program's multiplayer mod would agree with you there ^_^

Modders in general can activate features that are present but not used.

I don't know if the playground SDK even has any networking code for them to base a mod on.

As Goldhawk have no access rights to modify the engine I doubt mod teams would get anywhere with it, beyond making save files available on a network to enable easier play by email type games.

How's any multiplayer possible with a real time engine without network? How about this, it was fun:

Also, its not really simple real time since player is allowed to alter the speed. Players will want different speeds, one will go into GC while the other has to wait with his geoscape paused. I can't think of a mechanic to pull this off.

Not me either!

Plus can you imagine the complaints they would get after all their hard work when mind control was still not in there and the same effects could be generated just by shooting the enemy full of holes? :P

Yes, yes I can. (:

How's any multiplayer possible with a real time engine without network? How about this, it was fun:

Also, its not really simple real time since player is allowed to alter the speed. Players will want different speeds, one will go into GC while the other has to wait with his geoscape paused. I can't think of a mechanic to pull this off.

That music took me back instantly. I loved Settlers 2, it's neat that someone pulled off that multiplayer hack.

The hotseat multiplayer that was hacked into OG X-Com didn't have a geoscape for the aliens iirc. Player 2 only got to fight in ground combat. I'd be more than happy with that.