Wire Cutters?

dmholt

Is there any chance that we could add to the research tree the ability to discover the technology behind wire cutters? This would allow soldiers to cut a hole in wire fences, which currently they seem unable to do, despite having plasma weapons, flying armour, etc. etc.

I suppose if JA2 also had furry lemming suit accessories and jumped off the nearest cliff, we should do that too :)
They might have that, I'll have to look. I was just pointing out that if someone wants super-detailed ground combat with all the toys they might try JA2. I don't expect Xenonauts to be that level of detail since the scope is much larger.

I imagine as well as adding a completely new item type, which would likely have to be handled as a weapon that did no damage to anything but a specific tile type, you would also have to somehow flag the specific tiles it could damage.

You would also need to make that item only able to damage the tile not destroy it as taking down steel poles embedded in concrete would be tricky for most wire cutters.

Well either that for just shoot the fence once which should poke a hole in it anyway.

Maybe the melee attack does enough damage to double for wire cutters?

Even if you have to hit it a few times you would have to cut more than a single chain link to open up a fence so it makes some sense.

Well, I guess puttng wire cutters into the research tree was a bit toungue in cheek, and I can understand that carrying yet another item is not a forward step. However I feel that there should be some way that a group of elite soldiers can get though a wire fence short of using C4. Shooting it doesn't work - you do get odd holes and tears, but I've shot through wire fences enough to see that a soldier's entire ammunition supply is not likely to make a hole they can get through.

Sure there should be a time cost - but a wire fence should not be a serious obstacle requiring high explosives. I could live without any extra animations - just let me get through the fence somehow!

Sure there should be a time cost - but a wire fence should not be a serious obstacle requiring high explosives. I could live without any extra animations - just let me get through the fence somehow!
Not to be too annoying, but in WWI and II Bangalore Torpedoes (basically a tube of HE) were used to rapidly open barbed wire and other obstacles, so using C4 or grenades really isn't that far out there. It's 10X faster and a lot safer for the "cutter". The only time wire cutters would be better is if you were trying to be stealthy, something the Xenonauts don't have to worry about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore_torpedo

Edited by StellarRat

I do vaguely recall getting stuck at a fence in an odd map ages ago, with only a few troops. Rockets were crashing the game, so I didn't use them and I don;t often bring C4 so that was out. I don't bring the tanks either. I fair amount of firing didn't seem to be damaging the fence much.

I think I just tried the rocket and crashed the game.

Alien armadas I can deal with. Minimal earth security poses a much greater problem.

If it were in the game, I'd imagine you'd just start with them like the Medipack. I'm note sure there's a huge benefit in laser or plasma cutting research trees, unless alien canned food is particularly difficult to get into.