How do I set a submap to have damaged tiles?

Max_Caine

I remember a comment from Skitso (at least I think it was Skitso) who suggested that Terror maps started out with pre-damaged bits of the map. I thought I'd try my hand at making damaged submaps, however I've run into a problem. I can set the state of a spectre in the submap editor, but unless I save the spectre it doesn't come up damaged and I believe that if I save the spectre in a damaged state, that sets ALL tiles of that type to damaged. Would I have to make a new spectre specifically for damaged walls etc. if I wanted submaps to start with damaged bits of terrain?

EDIT: Yup, looks like I'll have to make new spectres. Not a problem - just take a while to set up independant damaged/destroyed spectres.

Edited by Max_Caine

That was the way I had to do it when I tried the same thing.

I also ended up editing a few of the tiles to make more variations on damaged sections.

Most walls for example only have a solid, cracked, and completely destroyed version so I made specific damaged wall tiles that were half height.

Gave people somewhere to use as cover and vault over so a bit more interesting.

Don't forget to back your work up somewhere outside of the xeno folders, mine got eaten by a Desura update.

Yeah, that's the way I've done it, too. Also, you can have a go at using the same damaged/destroyed ground .pngs the game itself does. Those are in assets\tiles\ (not any of the various subfolders), complete with spectres. Paint them on layer 1, not 0.

If you want to see what it can look like, then here's a pic of a desert submap I haven't used: it's a barracks (original, I know) that has an undamaged version, then three differently smashed up versions.

nTQumI8.png

I added a half height wall, a full height down to half height broken wall and a half height down to ground level broken wall.

Actually two of each transition wall, one for each direction.

It is quite effective and as you are just altering an existing sprite not too difficult.

Can be time consuming though as you would expect.

*edit* Quick mock up to show what I meant.

acxRiWp.jpg

Edited by Gauddlike