Please make capturing the control room a vaild end to alien base missions.

If the aliens capture the control room in a Xenonauts base the base is considered destroyed. I think turnabout is fair play here and, more importantly, alien base missions are very time consuming to play specially the large base missions. I think holding the alien control room for five turns (the same as capturing the bridge on a alien ship) should end ground combat for bases with a complete "win". By the time you've taken the command room you've probably killed well over half the aliens in the base anyway. Hunting every single one down is tedious and should be avoidable. With my proposal there will be three possible victory paths in a base mission.

1. Kill/stun every alien.

2. Destroy the reactors.

3. Capture and hold the control room for five turns.

I estimate this could reduce the "real" time needed to take out an alien base by 1/3 to 1/2.

Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by StellarRat

Maybe not an auto-win (reactors) but how about you see which rooms have aliens in it if you hold the command center?

You may have to use a console for that so you can't just blow it all up first. =)

Seeing which rooms or corridors have life aliens wouldn't be a magic detector, either, but hunting down the last 2 hiding aliens would go quickly.

The same functionality could be achieved for human bases by building a "security station" building. No auto-turrets but only sensors throughout your base.

Maybe not an auto-win (reactors) but how about you see which rooms have aliens in it if you hold the command center?

You may have to use a console for that so you can't just blow it all up first. =)

Seeing which rooms or corridors have life aliens wouldn't be a magic detector, either, but hunting down the last 2 hiding aliens would go quickly.

The same functionality could be achieved for human bases by building a "security station" building. No auto-turrets but only sensors throughout your base.

That would be OK, but it sounds overly complicated for such late stage development.

If you enter the command room then ALL aliens in the base should rush to help their commander, this means you still have to kill them but dont have to hunt them down. The biggest problem with aliens in bases at the moment is that some spawn in the ventilation shafts and are stuck there. Newer players dont even know these places exist and get frustrated when the mission doesnt end and they think they have killed everything.

Methinks holding command center for 5 turns should do the trick. What's good about aggressive aliens if they can't find their way out?

As a "newer player" I had no clue about these ventilation shafts and could not succeed at base assault mission. By the way - can anyone point me to a thread explaining how to find these alien hideouts?

[EDIT] One more related question: if one of threads I read that loading during the base mission can make some assets to go missing and turn the mission unplayable. Does it still hold in V21/2?

Edited by qdlat

If you enter the command room then ALL aliens in the base should rush to help their commander, this means you still have to kill them but dont have to hunt them down. The biggest problem with aliens in bases at the moment is that some spawn in the ventilation shafts and are stuck there. Newer players dont even know these places exist and get frustrated when the mission doesnt end and they think they have killed everything.
That would be fine by me too, but I was trying to come up with a solution that required the least amount of new programming. In theory, the aliens on ship missions should all rush back the UFO when it is breached too. Chris mentioned something about that a long time ago, but maybe it's gone by the wayside.

I'd really, really like aliens rushing to breached ufo/command room! No 5 turn auto win rule, but easier and faster way to get rid of remaining enemies.
Would that really add a lot to the game? I'd imagine that your team would be covering the doorway and lifts and would simply mow them down the instant the stepped into the room. I don't have anything against it mind you, but if it took a lot of extra programming I don't think it'd be worth it.

Probably wouldn't add much, but maybe a slight (and hopefully tense) "king of the hill" variation in gameplay and auto balance the game making last turns harder if the player rushed directly to UFO without clearing surrounds first.

If it's easy to implement, I'm sure the game would be better with than without it. And it would also be an organic way to fix "hunting the last alien" problem I guess.

Edited by Skitso

Probably wouldn't add much, but maybe a slight (and hopefully tense) "king of the hill" variation in gameplay and auto balance the game making last turns harder if the player rushed directly to UFO without clearing surrounds first.

If it's easy to implement, I'm sure the game would be better with than without it. And it would also be an organic way to fix "hunting the last alien" problem I guess.

Agreed on all points.

The main point is that hunting the aliens in a large base is extremely tedious so we need a way out that still allows for a full capture.

That would be interesting if the aliens actually used some breaching tactics like grouping up and using grenades.

If they just trickle in one at a time and die to reaction fire I would find it quite a sad end to a mission.

I've more than one charge through a doorway and toss a grenade at my guys. I think the main problem is that not all of them have grenades and, of course, the AI isn't good enough to marshal all the grenade owners into an assault unit. I doubt it ever will be. Edited by StellarRat