V21 Experimental 2 Available!

I am getting 90 second load times on light scout missions as opposed to 15 second load times from before the loading screen. Oddly enough, if I hit load and then alt-tab out to watch the resource monitor, it only takes about 15 seconds to load. It's not coming anywhere near close to the limits on CPU and it barely touches the SSD and RAM. Given the way it is behaving, I am guessing the progress bar updates are being pushed, then rendered, then back to the loading process, which is going to slow it down relative to your frame rate since you have to wait for the next frame to come up before you get back to loading.

I just started up FRAPS to check the frame rate in the loading screen to see if it is lowered and noticed my display's frame rate was capped at 40 for some reason. I changed it to 60 and the loading now takes 56 seconds while watching it. So, I suppose it wouldn't be as noticeable on a 120hz display and probably has no problems on a 240hz display assuming that the game always runs at max frame rate.

I've had so many CTD's in ground combat that I've given up on build 2. It's not just one particular thing that causes them either. I had one the other night where setting C4 in front of a light scout caused it. I think the new loading screen is cursed. LOL

Me too.

Just got a combat mission to load.

I had an alien shooting my guys from 1/3 of the way across the map.

He killed two of my guys WITH ONE SHOT.

Then my laser-gun guy couldn't take him because HE RAN OUT OF BULLETS.

I'll let that sink in for a minute. My LASER-GUN ran out of BULLETS.

Whatever.

Just to let everyone know we are aware of the crash when loading Ground Combat and are trying to pin down the problem, but it is taking some time as we cannot reproduce it reliably. If you are experiencing this bug please could you post in this thread in the bug forums with details of what the exact circumstances were, which may help us pin it down.

Edited by Aaron

If it helps any, the only way I can get a particular save to not crash after a crash has already occurred is to re-log into windows. Often when I try to launch the game again after a crash it will say that there is an instance already running and I can't exit Steam because of a similar error, something like, "Please exit xenonauts before exiting steam". Sometimes I can get in again without re-logging into windows and it will promptly crash as soon as I start the mission that crashed it in the first place.

I've been successful playing the game by re-logging into windows when a crash occurs and this gives me a decent amount of game time before the next crash. I've been sticking to day time missions but I'm not sure how helpful that is above being able to see further away during the missions.

If there is anything else I can do to help just let me know.

Chris

The circumstances of mine were my first ground combat, comprised of a team of 8 consisting of 2 shields, 2 snipers, 3 assaults, 1 rocketman.

Ground combat screen was very slow to load, and just as the bar finished it CTD.

Just to let everyone know we are aware of the crash when loading Ground Combat and are trying to pin down the problem, but it is taking some time as we cannot reproduce it reliably. If you are experiencing this bug please could you post in this thread with details of what the exact circumstances were, which may help us pin it down.

lowly sibelian from the first scout craft downed just sniped my sniper from outside of sight range (no squad sight, there was no other sibelian in the area) for critical damage.

Did aliens get their sight range increased again? do sibelians especially have hawk sight?

The circumstances of mine were my first ground combat, comprised of a team of 8 consisting of 2 shields, 2 snipers, 3 assaults, 1 rocketman.

Ground combat screen was very slow to load, and just as the bar finished it CTD.

Just to be clear Aaron wants information on the ground combat loading CTD to be over in the thread linked below:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/8862-crash-by-loading-the-ground-combat-with-save

The link in his original post was not very obvious so it looked like he wanted the information posted here instead.

Made his link more obvious and posted a new one to be sure, thanks all.

Yeah. We can't really put out another build until we've fixed this, or made some progress towards it. We're working on maps at the moment (terror site / final mission) but we'll do another push on bugfixing and balance once we've fixed this bug and put out the next build.

Yeah. We can't really put out another build until we've fixed this, or made some progress towards it. We're working on maps at the moment (terror site / final mission) but we'll do another push on bugfixing and balance once we've fixed this bug and put out the next build.
You really need to fix the CTD's caused by vehicles, explosives and scattergun (laser carbines, alien heavy plasma) fire too otherwise ground combat is really frustrating (at least for me.)

They'll get fixed, just not necessarily immediately. Sometimes the coders need to add content as well as fix bugs :)
What? NO! ;)

I understand, I guess the main reason that I think this should be a high priority is that you're not going to get as much feedback about balance if players can't play for extended periods. But, I realize you need to "finish" the content too. Ugh...