Region Funding: Asymmetrical Balance

The regions should have different funding levels based on their size, and isolation from other regions. This would make bases in locations other than the middle east viable.

Not sure on exact numbers, but the rankings should go something like this, from greatest amount of funding to least:

-North America

-Russia

-Indochina

-Australasia

-Europe

-South America

-South Africa

-Central America

-North Africa

-Middle East

Just a rough list FYI, some things may need to be moved around.

Using funding as a method of encouraging base siting might not be so easy. For example Russia pretty much extends right into the Baltic which is just as good as a base in Egypt/Greece. A base in North America is only marginally worse than a base in Central America due to the geography.

I think funding should be a little more gamey. Maybe random each time you play through? Although this should certainly be an option that can be turned on or off. I'd imagine most people on their first play through want to play in their traditional style.

Things really would be shaken up if the RNG gives you Indochina and Australasia as your key funders at game start.

Edited by Belmakor

Using funding as a method of encouraging base siting might not be so easy. For example Russia pretty much extends right into the Baltic which is just as good as a base in Egypt/Greece. A base in North America is only marginally worse than a base in Central America due to the geography.

I think funding should be a little more gamey. Maybe random each time you play through? Although this should certainly be an option that can be turned on or off. I'd imagine most people on their first play through want to play in their traditional style.

Things really would be shaken up if the RNG gives you Indochina and Australasia as your key funders at game start.

Obviously some areas will remain bad. For example, a base in northern north america will never be as good as a base in southern north america (because you can cover central america too). However, different funding levels would encourage placing bases in other areas beside the middle east, cuba, and southern indochina... and make different starting locations actually viable.

The list you've given still probably makes ME (or slightly north of it) the best starting place, as it would cover a good part of 3 out of 5 richest regions.Fixing that would require somehow reducing the funding abilities of Europe and/or Eastern Bloc, but that'd need some lame excuse, with Europe being one of the most developed parts of the world and SU always finding the resources to throw at projects they considered important.

The list you've given still probably makes ME (or slightly north of it) the best starting place, as it would cover a good part of 3 out of 5 richest regions.Fixing that would require somehow reducing the funding abilities of Europe and/or Eastern Bloc, but that'd need some lame excuse, with Europe being one of the most developed parts of the world and SU always finding the resources to throw at projects they considered important.

Not necessarily.

A middle eastern base covers the middle east and northern africa (two poorest regions), and europe (5th best). It only covers about a quarter of russia's and indochinas total area, so you have some protection, but you run the risk of alien attacks happening in those blocs outside of your sphere of influence.

Compare it to a base in southern North America (covers a significant portion of north america and all of central america) and ME would still be a decent starting location, but it's not a no brainer like it is now.

I see your point about Europe though. But the soviet union is so large, you would need at LEAST 2 bases to cover it effectively which means it should be fairly high on the list.

Edited by legit1337