Chris, an easy method to add visual character to Xenonauts

Giovanni just helpfully committed the overlay code to the SVN, giving me and Aaron a good twenty minutes of bemusement before we worked out what was happening. I have at least seen this thread now though.

That wasn't intended! Sorry :(

(if he thinks otherwise, it's just because I've not finished writing my emails yet! :) )

More work coming in? Yay!

Giovanni just helpfully committed the overlay code to the SVN, giving me and Aaron a good twenty minutes of bemusement before we worked out what was happening. I have at least seen this thread now though.

I'm not really sure I like the effect too much though, to me it just makes everything look less sharp and less colourful. I don't really have a problem the tileset script being added at some point in the future, but right now Giovanni's got quite a lot else to be doing at the moment (if he thinks otherwise, it's just because I've not finished writing my emails yet! :) )

I hear whip cracks and yelps coming from "over there"...MAWAHAHAHA!

I'm not really sure I like the effect too much though, to me it just makes everything look less sharp and less colourful.

I think you really should try this ingame before your ultimate judgement as it truly adds in immersion. :) Here's a quick mod if anybody wants to try. Just copy all files in assets. REMEMBER TO BACKUP FIRST! This colorgrading setting works only for desert and maybe middle east maps and might look strange on others.

https://www.mediafire.com/?n5qjqvdysqgukdq

Edited by Skitso

What could be interesting is to have a series of these "filters" for maps chosen at random: Sunny, cloudy, dusty, clear, etc. It'd give some subtle variation to the same tiles. :)

It'd be cool if it could be synced with the time of the mission (dawn/dusk) but that's not too critical.

The update busted the alpha settings somehow.. the settings that were great last night, don't seem to work anymore?? At the moment, the more transparent you make the texture, the more dark it gets. Strange... I need to make a clean install and see if it helps.

EDIT: reinstalling fixed it.

Edited by Skitso

I agree that if the code is added to allow a tileset to be linked to an overlay image then it would be nice to also allow a random choice from the linked folder to be used.

Similar to how submaps are selected from possible options in the proper folder when the map is loaded.

Two or three subtly different colours could make this feature more pronounced.