Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V20 Stable Released!

V20 Stable Released!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! V20 Stable was released on Christmas Eve, a new version of the game that contains all the changes from the past three months of development. There's still a couple of relatively rare or minor bugs in the game we will patch out in the next week or two, but it contains a LOT of new features and is a pretty stable experience.

The biggest news is the new UI, which looks better and functions better than the old one. It also changes as the game progresses, reflecting your increasing tech level. It's certainly the most visible of the updates, but there's been a lot of other big changes. All are listed below:

Known Issues (to be patched, please do not report):
    • There's an occasional hidden movement screen hang, caused by an AI loop.
    • The end-of-mission screen has 0s for everything. This is because it is going to be replaced with an upgraded screen and scoring system shortly.
    • Soldiers sometimes come back from battle with 98% health when they have taken no damage.
    • Some of the early aliens can be rather passive at times due to an AI quirk we're working on.

Highlighted Changes:
    - New UI: Every Geoscape management screen has been revamped with new graphics and usually a new layout. This a massive change and completely alters the feel of the game.
    - Improved Balance: There has been a LOT of work done on the game balance, far too much to list.
    - Aerial Terror Sites: These have been added to the Geoscape, and represent the aliens bombing infrastructure.
    - Game Size: The game has been reduced in size from 5gb to 2gb with some image compression magic.
    - New Art: There's a lot of new art in the game, particularly in the Xenopedia (captured alien art etc). Almost all the ground tiles have - been painted over now as well.
    - New Maps: There's quite a lot of new maps that have been added to the game, as well as more randomisation of them.
    - AI Improvements: The AI is more advanced than before and now capable of using grenades.
    - New Animations: There are new animations for gibs, healing, jetpacks, Reaper attacks and some types of explosion. The gib one is particularly nice!
    - Accuracy System: This has been revamped to make friendly fire less frequent and misses look less ridiculous.
    - Explanatory Tooltips: If this menu option is selected, some explanation screens appear the first time you access the Geoscape, Air Combat and Ground Combat. These provide basic instruction on how to play the game.

Full Changelog (part 1):

Press the button:
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Full Changelog (part 2):

Press the button
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

So, if I've been playing V20 Candidate 5, do I need to now go and opt out of beta to get the Stable build?

Nope, it's exactly the same build. I'd stay on the Experimental.
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Hi Chris, any ETA on Desura? Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Great changelog! When released on http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts/download?

Awards:
    Posting Award
    thanks!
    "...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

I'm a little confused. We had v20 HF 1,2,3,4,5. and now v20.
    Where did this come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Nah, we had release candidates. The various hotfixes will be next: this release is THE v20, so people not opting into experimental builds will play it instead of v19.
    Details and updates on my map packs in this thread. I'll bump it when I've got something for you from now on.

Stinky Map Pack 2: Currently 71 maps. 15th November update: a fix for my industrial maps in v20 can be downloaded here. Extract it into your Xenonauts dir, after you've installed either community review packs or Stinky Map Pack 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    The build version scheme they've been using is this: Experimental, followed by Stable Candidate, followed by Stable each sharing an overall version (20) and getting their own patch/increment labels. It can be a bit confusing, but actually relays a lot of info by telling us the purpose behind each build (general progress, polish, and play respectively).