Honest critique of the current beta build (V18)

mrxny

Here is a list of things that are need to be fixed.

1. Vehicles need their time units restored.

One shot per turn with hunters sucks. My tanks wind up being scouts that get killed every mission because by the time I can see an alien I'm out of TP and killed on the aliens turn. You pretty much cant Move and shoot in the same turn.

2. Bring back the Riot shield at new game.

The stun rod is now useless because you cant get that close to Aliens without a shield. I used to have a soldier carry 2 riot shields and lob C4 packs or use 2 shields and then smack the aliens with the stun rod.

3. Change the money system back to the way it was

On my current play through I'm dead broke. I have 1 base, and I don't have any money to by any upgrades. I cant shoot down anything other than small ships. Payroll is killing me each month. $200,000 for an extra lab is crazy.

4. Bring back the floating Damage indicators

I have no idea of how much or how little I hurt an alien, or if my soldiers took a bad hit or a baby hit.

5. Reduce cost of Hunter tanks back to $50,000

I always have 3 hunters for when my base gets attacked, but $100,000 a piece bankrupted me.

6. More small or very small alien ships needed

I cant afford ship upgrades and the only ships spawning are large or heavy fighters. Add in more small ships like it was before, so I can do some missions earn money and pick up items to sell.

7. Electric shock grenades still do nothing

I hit an Android with 3 shock grenades, nothing and blasted my guys to pieces on the follow up round.

8. Frag Grenades and Alemium grenades got nerffed too much

I'm carrying 40% Smoke grenades, 40% stun grenades, and 20% actually grenades - Fine if your fighting organics, but I had a mission with all Androids, and I got ripped to pieces.

9. Alien shotgun no sound and insane distance.

The Alien "Shotgun" shoots halfway across the map with a huge spread - its not even close to fair.

10. Aliens Line of Sight needs a major nerf ASAP.

I have to send my Hunter tank in as a scout just to find aliens, and then it gets ripped to pieces.

11. Aliens are shooting right through my smoke grenades

Ridiculously unfair - it almost seems broken.

Things I like and should stay:

1. Stun grenades and Stun rockets power boost.

2. Selling new items for cash.

3. Allied ground forces in Terror missions actually kill aliens !

4. Increased grenade range !

Edited by mrxny

Ingame, right now, I'm seeing lab costs as $100,000 and hunters as $60,000. I also have shields available. I get damage numbers, too. All that and the smoke grenades thing makes me think you're actually playing the wrong version!

When you start the launcher, what version of the game comes up in the top right?

Its v18, I cant get into v20

Using steam, what am I doing wrong that - Xeno code thing doesn't work in the beta menu pulldown

Here are the instructions for getting the experimental builds:

In order to access the experimental build, you need to open your Steam library, right click on Xenonauts and click on properties. Click the Betas tab in the properties window that appears, enter the code "XenoExperiment" and click "Check Code". When that is validated, use the drop down box on that same page to select "Experimental - Latest changes, unstable" and then click Close. If this does not appear, restart Steam. Steam will then download the updated files for the new build, and you can begin playing. It's worth noting you can opt to go back to the non-experimental build if you want, using the same drop down box in the Betas tab.

Just keep in mind that they tend to be buggy specially the first experimental build of any series (version.) I will tell you that 20.8 is pretty good though. Not too many bugs that will ruin your playing experience. Have fun.

Edited by StellarRat