expanding foam grenade

How about an expanding foam grenade (becomes solid after a few seconds). Either to stabilize a structure, hold an enemy (either permanently or temporarily, fully or partially) or as semi permanent cover from enemy fire

Personally I like this type of idea as it allows a more dynamic battlefield. Another option in this vein would be a deployable forcefield (I'm thinking Dawn of War II, Eldar Guardian style). I don't know if I agree with the ability to hold an enemy (mainly because it might be a bit overpowered), but I like the idea of the foam grenade. Based on how I understand the terrain working though this might not be possible with the current code. However, I think something like this could be implemented with a relatively small amount of work (it should just be adding a spectre to a tile that wasn't originally on the map).

Would be interesteing to see how a foamgrenade works on an enemy that is larger then 1 square if only one sqaure of it is affected by the foam grenade. would it be slowed? would it be rootd untill it hits adjacent squares with melee attacks? (effeciently sapping it for AP in exchange for freeing it) or would it be rooted but still able to fire weapons?

I suggested a forcefield type grenade a while back (old forums I think) that could be used as deployable cover.

I would prefer that to be its primary use though as using it to lock an enemy in place would also be giving the enemy cover...

I have been planning to see if I could get one to work as a modded item but never seem to have the time :P

You could also have a whipped cream grenade.

Makes the ground really slippery and so has a similiar effect of "holding" an enemy in place or at least slow him from leaving it.

Can blind enemies, at least briefly.

Makes grenades (and possibly other weapons) so slippery that throwing is far less accurate.

And if it is blocking a critical junction on the map - you can eat it!

Great at parties, too.

Gazz maybe you could mod it so you smother the aliens with your armpit instead of punching them when you run out of ammo, maybe even ram one of their heads up another ones rear end if they just shot you?

throw in Micky and Donald and you've got a winning mod surely?

Err, this tread might have "Slip" a little (intended pun) but well here a 3 things:

1-) Proximity mines device (stun or otherwise) PLEASE!! I use them a lot.

2-) Force field thing, you use that on a deployable device but not on yourself? Are you nuts?

3-) Smoke grenades are there to give you covert btw, they also cut a lot on infrared line of sight so, yeah, smoke for the win btw. They were in the original x-com and I used them to some extend. Usefull to disembark ship without getting sniped by a snakeman or other long range bully.

Err, you know that smoke grenades have been used in ops since ww1? And a smoke machine are often used on APC, there is even a M113 version that can produce enough of it to cover a armored bataillon. Smokes are a must in open ground situation. Well the disco ball thing might be a good idea tough since most pilots have their own mix. They like to play DG while they get to their drop point.

Still, smoke, it's not only a cigarette, it screen you from the ennemy.

LOL, well that's lost in translation.

Yes i meant to say that Smoke are Cost effective. A college student can make one with almost nothing. It's a pain for almost all light spectrum. To get trough it you have to read UV spectrum.

IR, lowlight, can't see a damn thing since smoke that come out is hot and opaque. Thats how sadam protected his palace with burning oil pit.

Smoke grenades are a tactical equalizer.

Just have to get the sonic weapons from TFTD and some stimpacks to get all the ingredients for a rave: smoke machine, lazer wepon show, glowstick flares (previously mentioned sonic weapons system and (illegal) stimpacks) wierdly dressed (alien) freaks.
Hmm, now chuck a disco ball in the chinook and it's one hell of a night in town! =p

That's not a combat mission! That's the Love Parade!

Equipped force field generators always felt like cheating to me.

My idea of the deployable force field was purely to fit in with the cover mechanic as implemented.

It would provide cover where none was available rather than making your troops tougher to kill.

You could still get flanked around it, it could be taken out with a few shots, and it needs to actually be used rather than a passive defence.

Smoke grenades were very useful in all of the x-coms, hopefully Chris will be bringing us some smog.