Gadgets & combat gear

Hello, my first post, so let me start with the obligatory "Wow, this is the real modern X-com, awesome, thank you!"

Now that is out of the way, I think the troops could use an additional equipment slot in addition to armor, weapons and stuff they are carrying. I'm talking gadgets - things like visors and such. You could have a simple selection available and other things you need to research and produce. You could tie the gadget slots to the type of armor, thus increasing tactical considerations. For example, the heavier the armor, the less slots it has, while going naked gives you three or even four gadget slots. Here are some ideas on what the additional gadgets could be, just as examples of course.

EarthTech gadgets:

Night-Vision Goggles (Self-evident)

Gasmask (Self-evident)

Armor plates (More armor, heavy!)

Lucky charm (+Bravery)

Stuff you need to research:

Ablative vest (More armor, heavy!)

Combat HUD (+Reaction/Accuracy)

Targeting matrix (+Accuracy)

Autodoc (Stops bleeding on its own)

PSI Shield (Protects from PSI)

Alien scrambler (Aliens less likely to target)

Alien beacon (Aliens more likely to target)

Anti-grav harness (Faster movement)

Supreme Night-Vision (Self-evident)

Hydraulic sling (Throws grenades much further)

Exoskeleton (+Strength)

Helping hand (Additional hand slot)

Sensor matrix (Wider field of vision)

Yeah, I understand the game is almost finished, but maybe we can see such things in an expansion or Xenonauts 2: Now With Alien Amazons. In the same vein, seeing similar modifications available for fighters would be nice. So you could choose between extra fuel tank, better radar, targeting assistance etc.

• 7 months later...

I'm gonna post here to third the "no nightvision goggles" problem. First thing I thought when Night missions were explained to me was "man I wish I had some night vision headsets or something."

It's a shame the game is so... hard-coded. I mean, now it's not even like we can look forward to a modder adding stuff in.

EDIT: Just realized I kind of necroposted. Eh, whatever, I was going to start a new thread about this but I wanted to make sure I didn't just repeat something other people have brought up before.

But I mean, hell, you could fluff up some reason as to why research needs to be done to make NVGs! Like, the alien heat signatures are much more faint, and the Xenonaut NVGs need to be calibrated specifically to detect them. Something like that! It's better than a wimpy little headlamp!

Edited by Larchus

I'm gonna post here to third the "no nightvision goggles" problem. First thing I thought when Night missions were explained to me was "man I wish I had some night vision headsets or something."

It's a shame the game is so... hard-coded. I mean, now it's not even like we can look forward to a modder adding stuff in.

EDIT: Just realized I kind of necroposted. Eh, whatever, I was going to start a new thread about this but I wanted to make sure I didn't just repeat something other people have brought up before.

But I mean, hell, you could fluff up some reason as to why research needs to be done to make NVGs! Like, the alien heat signatures are much more faint, and the Xenonaut NVGs need to be calibrated specifically to detect them. Something like that! It's better than a wimpy little headlamp!

NVG's don't utilize heat signatures, they just amplify the very faint ambient light to create an image that a human could see, so the aliens having weaker heat signatures would not effect them. Though thermal optics would be cool, and would help mitigate the accuracy penalties for smoke, and maybe allow you to see targets in the FoW out to line of sight, just without revealing the map, so you wouldn't necessarily know what kind of cover it has. Even if it was something you had to research, that one tech alone would probably save more soldiers in night missions than wolf armor.