Small little Review

Hi Guys,

as I have put almost 80 hours into the game (yes, kind of addictive), I'd like to write down the experience I've had in a few points. In general, the game is great - and the following points are just my perception as a player (not OMG CHANGE NEEDED!)... I've seen all of those things talked about on the forum already, so bear with me :)

1. Standard Ground Missions tend to become somewhat tedious

As soon as you get the hang of the relatively simple initial missions (executing them without big risk of any loss) they tend to become 'work'. The start of a standard ground mission has become my 'favourite' point of ending my playing session - since I usually don't feel I should 'skip' them (due to resource and experience gain).

I'd prefer the difficulty level of the mission to be more unpredictable, but maybe thats just me.

2. Air Combat is extremely sensitive to your loadout and can wreck your game (Ground Combat tends not to)

In my current playthrough I entirely skipped laser weaponry in order to save resources and go straight to plasma. And from my experience it works really well (with good tactics and liberal use of explosives). In Ground Missions you tend to have a fighting chance even if underequipped. I only had 1 mission where my squad was hilariously ripped apart - when I was forced of sending a bunch of rookies to an advanced terror site, full of wraiths and massives disks. (Yes, they were all running around screaming, mindcontrolled by the aliens or hiding behind a pot plant. Hilarious ;))

Nevertheless, I realised in most of my games (and I only play Iron Man, so they are quite a few :)) Air Combat is the primary trap that can more or less wreck my game. The possibilities to 'outplay' disadvantages in Air Combat seem to be far smaller. And after manufacturing one advanced fighter, a second one would have consumed almost all my Alenium resources (so I hesitated, because I want my soldiers to be walking TANKS ;))... Oh and I often just cannot deal with Air Terror sites due to the distance involved.

3. Linear Upgrades

More a matter of taste, I think too many upgrades behave exactly like their predecessor with an added boost in performance. (Weapons exempt here.) But then again I think there is no reason to change those around especially so late in development.

Thanks for the great game! :D

In my current playthrough I entirely skipped laser weaponry in order to save resources and go straight to plasma. And from my experience it works really well (with good tactics and liberal use of explosives)

Ok, cut that.. just got stomped on a Terror Mission by approximately a hundred Androns...

#1 - I tend to agree with this although the same was true in the OG. Hence my suggestion for the occasion super-soldier, farmer, policeman to keep things interesting. On the flip side, having variable capabilities for the aliens would be good too. Maybe there is an alien "hero" type that you encounter from time to time. It wouldn't be a different "breed" just an average looking alien that is exceptionally talented at shooting, throwing, or faster...etc... Also, varying their weapons loadout more would be interesting. As far as terror missions go, the number of aliens tends to be somewhat unbelievable from time to time. I don't know where they're finding the space in a landing ship to cram all these guys sometimes. It would be far better and more interesting to have less aliens with varying capabilities and weapons.

Edited by StellarRat

I also forgot one point. The aggressive AI is interesting and for some Aliens very fitting (Lizards imo) but in general I have to say that it's not quite there yet. In some Scenarios its maybe too easy a solution to camp close to your charlie and keep skipping turns, because they will eventually move towards you.

Then again I have no doubt the AI will get where you want it, so I'm looking forward to further developments :)

Other than that, can't think of anything that would require serious attention. Except that this game at some point become ridiculously hard, even on normal ;)

On the flip side, having variable capabilities for the aliens would be good too. Maybe there is an alien "hero" type that you encounter from time to time. It wouldn't be a different "breed" just an average looking alien that is exceptionally talented at shooting, throwing, or faster...etc... Also, varying their weapons loadout more would be interesting. ... It would be far better and more interesting to have less aliens with varying capabilities and weapons.

This is pretty cool idea. It would be great to improve the unpredictability of the missions, as currently you exactly know what to expect from the UFO type. Unfortunately I wonder if the varied alien weapons loadout would work, as including earlier tier weapon to the alien equipment would not work due to high effectiveness of the armors. Also, as new weapons grant technology, having heavy plasma per say show up on Scout (or battle rifle on landing ship) would be unbalancing. Variability of the alien weapon is much improved once we get past the point of Scouts anyhow.

Regardless I think possibility of lower ranked aliens showing up with more advanced weapons after that particular type of the weapon has already been 'unlocked' would be amazing change, as at current point with the fixed alien loadout, earlier UFO type missions loses all threat with advanced armor. For example, once you get to Wolf armor, you know you can just grind light scout missions without any risk because plasma pistol basically does nothing to them.

I still think it would be fun to have alien "hero", or if the variable statistics is difficult to implement, have random chance of higher ranked alien - excluding storyline specific ranks like officers of course - show up once that rank has been unlocked Geoscape-wise (in order to maintain Geoscape research balance). It'd be pretty cool for you to do light scouts or scouts mission expecting easy mission, then random soldier appears out of nowhere and chucks the grenade! ;)

Also I think number of aliens on the terror mission would be fine as long as plan to put some of the aliens on the patrolling/defensive AI (instead of everyone rushing you) gets implemented.

Edited by ventuswings
should be final edit, emphasis on important points

Thanks for the suggestions. The air combat point is a good observation and something we've been working to mitigate and will hopefully continue to do so prior to release. Slightly more variation in ground missions is also planned (time permitting).