The Air Combat Screen

shuuk

It has arcade gameplay with an emphasis on reactions, timing, and quick thinking...

This couldn't be further from the truth. Air combat is actually based on a turn based game (Steambirds) and allows for pausing and issuing orders. While it's a relatively simple system it'd definitely not "arcade" in the sense that it's nothing like Tyrion or Raptor.

It's no more reaction/twitch based than Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age are (pausable real time).

Edited by Jean-Luc

I also have trouble with the whole aircombat system.

It feels like I dont have the control at all. Maybe i'm missing out on all the fuzz about this improvement. The old X-com setup sure was simplistic and limited. But really, am I flying this fighter or does the pilot is? In fact we just gave him the order to follow some basic kind of tactics: Close up, stay far, long rang fire.

What if I did not coordinate my planes properly? Is there a pilot in there?

For multiple fighter battle it wasn't that hard. You did need some coordination but it wasn't so far out of place. Also, the manufacturing capabilities in the game gave you the ability to man several bases and equipt them with an interception fleet. Funding is now, sadly, totally different. I will miss all this production management, it made a real part of the game for me.

I'm not a fan of these changes.

Edited by plucx

Also, the manufacturing capabilities in the game gave you the ability to man several bases and equipt them with an interception fleet. Funding is now, sadly, totally different. I will miss all this production management, it made a real part of the game for me.

I'm not a fan of these changes.

I'm sorry, but what is this all about?

Hello everyone, I have a quick question-- how do I cause ufo crashes? I have destroyed 58 ufos with only 1 crash site. More auto cannon and less missles?

I actually don't mind this new system (once i figure it out) with different ships it should be kinda cool. Although after I have picked the thousanth lock in fallout or skyrim it does get a tad bit old, I hope the air combat doesn't end up that way.

With all of the destoryed UFOs I have noticed the funding goes up considerably.

Scouts spawn crashsites more often as long as you dont bring em down with the MiG. the MiG has a lot more firepower and should be used for the heavier crafts such as corvettes and up.

If you are haveing problems with makeing corvetts spawn crashsites try only using 1 MiG to down it. you might be overkilling it. THink Chris said if you deal more then 20% more damage then is required to make it crash you obliderate it into fine dust. (paraphrased)

I'll give that a try, sounds like good advice. Thanks.

3 fighters shot down with cannons and no crash sites yet...

looks like 20 to 24 shots from the cannon destroy a fighter.

ufos are at #157 - just got second ground mission- shot down a scout.

Edited by montalto
update

That could well just be a balancing issue as the air combat hasn't got to that stage yet.

I imagine it should be fairly straight forward to take down most of the early alien craft with the early human craft.

If it is a bit more difficult it is probably the balancing that needs tweaking.

For example are lock on times for missiles too long?

Are the relative speeds not right?

Is cannon range too short?

Many things can alter the difficulty of the system without needing to throw it all away and go back to the x-com system, which was in itself poor at best.

I can't wait to see a version that get me as satisfied as you are!

I Agree. So Far In the First Month I Always lose all of my Planes. I guess I Cant Start Expanding my Bases like I did in the old game when it was one of the first things I did. I Also would move all the hangers to the "Top" to create a chokepoint for the inevitable alien assault on one of my bases.

Single enemy ships never have a chance. You see which aircraft the enemy is tracking. Send that one off in one direction and come around behind with your other aircraft. It works every time and after taking out an arbitrary number of ships this way it doesn't feel very interesting any more.

Obviously you have the upper hand in a 2 on 1 battle. It is just that the single enemy ships don't seem worth it to have the whole air battle radar thing popup, it doesn't really contribute anything to the game experience. Radar pops up, oh single ship again, click one fighter one direction, click one fighter the opposite to flank, win. Currently the single enemy battles don't add anything to the experience for me.

Now the corvette ships with multiple fighters, I haven't had any luck besting those with only 2 fighters.