Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Research screen UI for comment

Post New Research screen UI for comment

Continuing with the theme of GUI revisions (see the new Intercept window here), I've been working on the proposed new design for the Research screen. If you've not been around on the forums long, we're thinking about moving to a more immersive UI design for most of the screens similar to what is seen on the Main Menu screen.

This has two benefits - it looks better, and we can use 'tabs' on the speech bubbles to fit more in the UI than we can under the current system. Up til now it's been difficult to illustrate exactly how I want it to look as I've just been using words. Now we've got one of the backgrounds done, I can show off a proper concept of how the screens could look.

Here's the proposed new Reseach system. It should all be fairly self explanatory. The navigation is the sign in the top left (each board will light up when mouseovered) and you just click on the speech bubble tabs to travel to them. The clipboard will always show three current research projects, but if you have more of them then you can show them by moving your mouse to the bottom of the screen to look down the clipboard.

Let me know your thoughts, suggestions and feedback. Concepts below:

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_intro.jpg

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_manage.jpg

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_hire.jpg

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_advice.jpg

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_talk.jpg
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

I have no words ... That is great! Very detailed, informative and beautifully decorated!
    In my opinion, by submitting such research is immersion in the atmosphere of the game even more fully than usual!
    Last edited by resonansER; 01-22-2012 at 20:09.

It looks very solid to me and the screens are much more informative. As a side note the main scientist that is talking to you looks like the head scientist in Independence Day except younger.

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Perhaps make it look more like a speech bubble, right now it kind of looks like a floating white board =p Putting the little arrow thing towards his mouth would be good I think =]

Also, is small talk ever going to be a viable option? If not I'd say remove it.

I like the new background, though I will miss the old one =[ Will the background still change as more and more stuff is researched? Or has that idea been dropped?

otherwise, AWESOME! =]

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
    It looks very solid to me and the screens are much more informative. As a side note the main scientist that is talking to you looks like the head scientist in Independence Day except younger.
    or Daniel Jackson =p
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdevil View Post
    I like the new background, though I will miss the old one =[ Will the background still change as more and more stuff is researched? Or has that idea been dropped?
    I want it to, depends on how much money we have and how fast we can get it done.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I want it to, depends on how much money we have and how fast we can get it done.
    Awesome! Good to hear mate =]
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Why is the workshop highlighted on that list in the background?

AD already asked what i wanted to know about smalltalk. if its jsut there as a bit of easteregg its going to be tireing very quickly if you dont at least grey it out after the first 4-5 times to indicate your character got tired of trying to talk to him.

I'm not sure I would like the speechbubble aproach, might make it seem a bit silly? How about switching the progress tracker and the "manage/hire/advice/smalltalk" menu. That way the "speech" would feel more like subtitles... and the progress would feel more like it was beeing tracked on a blackboard (or whiteboard).

The "small talk" option and the head scientist's attitude both seem out of place and unnecessary to me. Might be better to keep things more formal or at least respectable (no mouthing off to the commander).

Other than the above, everything looks great.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Is the F1-9 implying floors or hotkeys btw? (Will they be clickable?)

Alien Hospitality Liaison iamkyon's Avatar
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    I'll let others mull over details and particulars, but I must express my at astonishment at the look of these mock-ups. What an impeccable sense of style!