Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Research screen UI for comment

Steely-Eyed Bug Hunter Pinetree's Avatar
    I love it, looks superb. My only thought is that you've added one more action to perform to simply check the status of all the research projects if you have more than 3 on the go. Maybe have the clipboard move up and down relating to the number of projects to a maximum of 10?(I don't recall having that many projects going at once) then add a scroll bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    Is the F1-9 implying floors or hotkeys btw? (Will they be clickable?)
    Both, and yes.

About the small talk option, it will unlock further into the game for this character. The other two will talk to you from the start, and basically it gives you some information on the characters background and life in the base. New dialogue options will unlock as more research is unlocked. The people on the Research, Workshop and Barracks screens (the Personnel screen is changing to be soldier focused and being renamed) are the only three people in the game you'll see in any detail, so it made sense to use them as method of giving the character interaction and improving immersion. If you're not a fan of that sorta thing, don't click on it. It won't affect the game in any way.

The scientist is meant to be narky, obviously. The other two guys are much friendlier. He'll be more memorable this way, rather than completely generic.

It's also possible we can move the clipboard up to show all ongoing research projects up to a cap of 5. No idea why anyone would want more than 5 ongoing at once...
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The navigation is the sign in the top left (each board will light up when mouseovered) and you just click on the speech bubble tabs to travel to them.
    For those wondering about the signs on the right, this is in Chris' OP.

Also the 'f lock' system would be good in my opinion.

Chris, will the signs stay the same between each and every part of the base?

Also I don't think 'weaponary' is spelt right. Isn't it supposed to be 'weaponry'?

The people on the Research, Workshop and Barracks screens (the Personnel screen is changing to be soldier focused and being renamed) are the only three people in the game you'll see in any detail, so it made sense to use them as method of giving the character interaction and improving immersion. If you're not a fan of that sorta thing, don't click on it. It won't affect the game in any way.
    WHat about a guy in the map room? Or is that gone?
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Alien Hospitality Liaison iamkyon's Avatar
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    New dialogue options will unlock as more research is unlocked.
    Will the dialogue options be affected by other goings-on inside the game world, e.g. increased alien activity or assaults on Xenonaut bases?

I love some of the details in the background art - the little CRT computer console and big tape drives in the background to place it in the eighties, and the shoulder boards on the lab coat to indicate these aren't your usual civilian scientists.

I also have to say I love the expressions of the characters "looking at you" in these new screens so far; they're painfully aware of the gravity of the situation, there's an alien invasion on and it's very grim and you're the only hope - and they aren't impressed! A subtly effective way to ratchet up the tension on the player.

The functional parts also look much cleaner than the old style, less information overload. I'm quite glad you didn't use a hokey little "tail" going from the guys mouth to the "speech bubble"; it's very clear what is going on without one anyway.

I mentioned before, I really like the idea of these advice and small talk screens - tips for new players and background fluff for those interested, but unobtrusive for everyone else.

Gotta say I'm a big fan of this stuff, it looks great

I wonder if there's any specific though behind the little "Sector 02" in the top? Is it just random, local to the science division or what? Just thought it could be fun if sectors corresponded with the alignment to the left (Command Room, Base Command etc.) :P

Awesome artwork and design. I actually love the attitude from the scientist...as if he is too busy to talk to a control freak military man.

Looks fantastic. Don't you dare change his attitude, I love the head scientist already from just these screens alone.

I would suggest keeping the floor list complete all the time rather than taking the current one out.
    It would keep a common theme better and all of the buttons would be in the same order on each screen, even if they are in different places.
    Otherwise it looks great.
    The Gaius Baltar style scientist looks good, I somehow feel he should have a cigar stuck in his top pocket though!
    http://www.tvsinopse.kinghost.net/g/...ast_baltar.jpg
    Last edited by Gauddlike; 01-23-2012 at 18:06.
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanicus_ View Post
    I'm quite glad you didn't use a hokey little "tail" going from the guys mouth to the "speech bubble"; it's very clear what is going on without one anyway.
    Have to disagree with you there I'm afraid, that's one thing I think it needs. Not large, not glaring, but right now, to me, it looks like it could be at best a thought bubble, at worst a floating blackboard =p Just a wee tail, off one corner, is all that it needs =]
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens