New Intercept window for feedback

Chris

Just in case this is a voting situation I'm putting in a call for the artwork version, although Thann's idea of having the top-down image as an icon as well sounds good.

Regarding ammo percentages; I think the main issue is it's unclear what they mean. If I have an F-17 with a full cannon but no Sidewinders, would that be 33% (average of 0%/0%/100%), or 99% (252 total shots available, 2 fired)? The screen as is would work if there was a button or mouse-over text for the aircraft that gave more detail on their armament if you wanted it; the information is potentially useful, but if you're 100% loaded then you don't necessarily need to see the breakdown all the time.

I fear I'm outvoted, but I'm in the simple, red, top-down view. It's more of a stylistic preference than anything else.

To me, it adds to the sort of quiet horror the commander on the ground feels, looking at that cryptic shape on the radar. Agonising over it, going "Where the hell do I attack from? I'd seen the Iceland files, but...."

I smell a modding opportunity, for information on UFOs in the intercept to be improved by research (as an added bonus perhaps).

I'd also like the top down red more, preferably with a button to show the artwork. Or maybe show the artwork on the ground mission screen? It looks much more like a chopper looking down at the ufo than an interceptor closing in from behind. I'm sure with a proper overlay you can make it look like a satellite image, even.

Also am I the only one that thinks the color choice of the artwork doesn't contrast the UI at all and is so not great? Or rather, the artwork is great by itself, just not coupled with the interception screen.

The one thing about this project which as appealed to me so quickly is the immersion factors of the game. The Game menu feels like you've been interviewed. The Geoscape looks like a satalite view, the air combat feels like the radar screen from Independance day.

That said, I think the concept needs a tad more work. I'd go for the top one, but add a themed boarder, lilke the examples below (sorry I'm no artist)

T6800081-Typhoon_fighter_plane_cockpit_display-SPL.jpg

That way it feels like you're actually looking at the readout of an instrament, rather than a game pop-up..... :)

T6800084-Typhoon_fighter_plane_cockpit_display-SPL.jpg

T6800084-Typhoon_fighter_plane_cockpit_display-SPL.jpg

T6800081-Typhoon_fighter_plane_cockpit_display-SPL.jpg

T6800084-Typhoon_fighter_plane_cockpit_d

T6800081-Typhoon_fighter_plane_cockpit_d

I prefer the red top-down, though I will agree that it could be muted a little bit so it's not quite so harsh. Honestly, it doesn't bother me, but I can see how it might bother others. As much as I like the stylized view, imo, it just doesn't fit the atmosphere. The alien ships are scariest when you're up close and personal, not so much when you're viewing them in the Intercept screen, and I feel removing the red removes part of the sense of urgency and warning.

Sorry, My suggestion was meant as a theme of suggestion, rather that a proposed mock up. Below is another really bad attempt at what I'm generally suggesting.

Again, this is not meant to be a working valid suggestion, but rather to inspire a the same emersion that runs so well in the rest of the screens.

radar2.jpg

Just something that makes you feel like you're looking at the radar screen in the Jet cockpit.

radar2.jpg

radar2.jpg.05d508ff160d2a12227b84945164e

sorry I more meant for the pictures he put up with the blue borders, those look more like alternate air combat screens. That's all =p

Sorry mate, My bad. I can see that my post was ambiguose. I made a follow-up suggestion a few posts on. It is the intercept pop-up window, but themed in such a way that it makes you feel like you're looking at an instament in the interceptors cockpit.

• 1 month later...

I like the red non-art top down view. I think it fits better with the theme of the intercept window. The art view could be shown after pressing a button ... maybe as list of photos of that class of ufo that are on file or something in that vein.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, this thread is old, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Perhaps on first contact, you would only get the radar signature (Red Top Down), But after fighting it, and winning you would have access to photos from the pilots. Or perhaps this would unlock after the crash site investigation and recovery. Or Research?

Subsequent Interception Engagement range reached screens would show the Art instead of the Radar Signature.

I'd still love to have some indication of where exactly this engagement is taking place. Its really difficult to work out what squadron is fighting when you have two identical squadrons up in the air at once.

Also it would be nice to know what region gets the relations bonus as a result. There might be times when youd rather shoot it down in Russia than in Europe if you get what I mean?

• 3 months later...

I must ask, why are all the weapon and menu graphics in the air combat UI made in totally different style than all the other graphics in the game? You should pursue an unified look thorough the game, so the minigun, missile and fighter jet graphics IMO should look "realistic" in the same manner as soldier portraits and their weapons, no? This way you won't have problems like this, where different windows and screens don't match overall atmosphere.