Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Intercept window for feedback

New Intercept window for feedback

As part of the milestone list I'm working on, most of the UI screens are getting a revamp. Often this is just visual or small tweaks, but on the Geoscape there are two windows that have come in for quite a lot of stick because they don't present enough information. I'm redesigning them now with the hope I can get them in V9. The first is the Intercept window, the second is the Launch Interceptors window.

Here's the proposed new Intercept window, launched when one of your squadrons closes to intercept range with a UFO squadron:

Essentially this just provides more information visually for the UFOs, and gives you more information on whether your ships are up to combat. The combat fuel level being in seconds should be useful, and hopefully we'll mirror this on the air combat UI when we update it.

Comments welcome. I'll get the Launch Interceptors screen re-concepted up soon too.

EDIT - here's a new version that uses the actual art for the UFOs rather than the top-down art. Anyone have any comments on this? (the top-down art isn't detailed enough on some of the UFOs to be used in this window without the red tint).

Better or worse than the previous ones?
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

It looks incredibly useful! Would it be possible to break ammo down by weapon? It seems like it would be difficult to have an idea of what your actual combat capability is without having a breakdown. Maybe two categories, one being cannon ammo and the other the number of missiles?

Nice - clear and gives you a good idea of what's coming so you can decide whether to fight or run. Having the UFOs in red makes sense during combat but perhaps on here they should appear as they would be seen visually?

I believe that the new interface capturing wonderful!
    I think that Chris thought long over the useful and informative interface. This follows from the screenshots.
    Therefore, I believe that nothing should not alter, everything is pretty compact and informative!
    Chris, you're just clever. My compliments.

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Awesome! Everything that I wished for =]
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Alien Hospitality Liaison iamkyon's Avatar
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Quote Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
    Maybe two categories, one being cannon ammo and the other the number of missiles?
    This is the only gripe I have with the proposed view.

I don't really see that being viable. There's too many different permutations of wepaonry, particularly towards the end of the game, that I think the best we can have is the average figure shown above.
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Great! You know what's going on here? A point is that Chris sees your entire mosaic of the game as a developer. We still can see only a small part of the mosaic. So he knows better. This follows from the pregoing post of Chris

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
    Maybe two categories, one being cannon ammo and the other the number of missiles?
    But what about with future tech? Not knowing how many different types of weapons we'll get makes this a bit hard to agree on, though some form would be nice. If it is only cannon and missile, you could label the ammo section:

Ammo
    Cannon/Missile
    60%/30%

And if there is more, perhaps have them colour coded? Though that might be very ugly... Personally I'm happy there is something, more would be nice but not necessary
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

I've added an extra image to the orginal post to show some nicer UFO art rather than the top-down view. Do people prefer that or is the top-down art better?
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt