Ground Combat Balance Discussion V20 Experimental 1

Aaron

This is post is for v20Ex2. Could the stopping chance for crouched troops be increased from 60% to 75%? Or a figure close to that? It's painful to watch the comedy circus that is a firefight between aliens and humans where both sides miss, miss and miss some more.
Obviously, you have not watched Star Wars enough! :P

There's the thing. Realistically, when crouching a target should be more difficult to hit. But when a target is more difficult to hit, more people miss, and the game becomes boring and unfun as both sides shoot at each other without much effect. But if crouching didn't make a target more difficult to hit, it would be unrealistic. ARGH.

EDIT: Possibly... possibly.. a way around it would be to apply the to-hit cap to the final modified score, rather than the base to-hit. Doesn't help in the early game, though.

There's the thing. Realistically, when crouching a target should be more difficult to hit. But when a target is more difficult to hit, more people miss, and the game becomes boring and unfun as both sides shoot at each other without much effect. But if crouching didn't make a target more difficult to hit, it would be unrealistic. ARGH.

EDIT: Possibly... possibly.. a way around it would be to apply the to-hit cap to the final modified score, rather than the base to-hit. Doesn't help in the early game, though.

The problem isn't the penalty to hit, it's the fact that you don't get more accurate with each shot. Obviously, if your shot is short or long you're going to compensate on the succeeding rounds until you reach your maximum accuracy potential. But we don't get that in Xenonauts.

There's a problem with the accuracy system right now where the crouch bonus is applied after the close range bonus - which reduces the maximum accuracy far more than intended. I may consider also increasing the crouch bonus to 75% though.

@Aaron, is it true that subsequent shots (without moving or changing stance in between) at the same target does not add a bonus to your accuracy/hit chance?

If not, is it planned? Not a big deal to me, but I do remember something about this mechanic from JA2, one of my all time favorite turn based squad games.

There's a problem with the accuracy system right now where the crouch bonus is applied after the close range bonus - which reduces the maximum accuracy far more than intended. I may consider also increasing the crouch bonus to 75% though.
Makes sense. I'm sure that will fix most of the complaints.

Been playing quite a bit on v20e3 now, feels pretty solid.

One thing I'd do is add some randomized variety to AI behaviour. Currently the patterns become quite obvious after a while, which leads to rather boring combats. For example: sometimes the aliens could set up ambushes, use the second levels in houses, booby trap doors and rush out the of the ship to meet the breachers head on. Something fresh every once in a while would force you to stay awake.