The single biggest nitpick to ever grace these forums.

You guys will hate me for this one, but being the jackass I am, I'm gonna point it out. Here goes.

The F-17 was not a modified version of the F-16.

The F-17 was this. Note that the F-17 lost out on the Air Force contract to the F-16.

Why not just refer to it as the F-16X, if the first thing in its Xenopedia entry is that it's an F-16 tweaked to Xenonaut standards?

What would the F17 have been if aliens invaded in the Xenonauts setting?

The game features the Chief Researcher inventing the internet in a non-historical manner. It's not too much of a stretch to assume plane invention happened a little differently too.

You guys will hate me for this one, but being the jackass I am, I'm gonna point it out.

Sorry but that grievous mistake has been brought up before.

And back then as well as now it was decided to not correct it but ship the game in it's flawed state of aircraft designations.

The F-17 Fan Club has put this on it's agenda for the next annual meeting in a phone booth outside Houston.

Because the F-16 is a real aircraft, and so is owned by a major company that can legally demand payment from us if we use it in our game. Same with the guns in the game.

I thought that may be it, but wouldn't the issue still arise from mentioning it as being an F-16 in the backstory?

You guys will hate me for this one, but being the jackass I am, I'm gonna point it out. Here goes.

The F-17 was this. Note that the F-17 lost out on the Air Force contract to the F-16.

According to the link you posted the aircraft is either designated a YF-17 or an FA18 rather than F-17.

That is a similar but different designation.

Due to the advanced nature of the YF-17 prototype, it was referred to as both the YF-17 and F-17 in official US military publications; the F/A-18 is a completely different line of aircraft inspired by the design of the F-17. This is the reason why there is no other F-17 in the US Air Force's naming parlance; the title was reserved for the YF-17 Cobra.

Then link to the correct documentation because the link you provided doesn't back up the argument you made ;)

As you say there is no F-17 so the designation is as safe to use as F-16x for copyright purposes and sounds better so why worry about changing it.

*edit* Looks like you are wrong about the F-16x designation by the way.

Quick google search picked up an existing use for F-16x so that would be unavailable for use.

Edited by Gauddlike

I thought that may be it, but wouldn't the issue still arise from mentioning it as being an F-16 in the backstory?

Nope, you can't demand a payment for saying something is similar to or based upon but different from the item in question. It's just when you say an object in-game IS the real-life object in question. Hence why the early versions of Counterstrike had different gun names, even though the guns themselves were clearly recognisable.

Nope, you can't demand a payment for saying something is similar to or based upon but different from the item in question. It's just when you say an object in-game IS the real-life object in question. Hence why the early versions of Counterstrike had different gun names, even though the guns themselves were clearly recognisable.

Correction about CS because I've been up since 3am and feel like being a pedant :):

Early version's (ie, betas) used the real gun names. They went fake for the 1.0 commercial release, hence why the Desert Eagle (aka deagle) is called the "Nighthawk .50c" in the game, the MP5 is called the "KM submachine gun" etc...

Edited by Buzzles