Ufo Mission Analysis

Max_Caine

Okay guys, we're coming up for the last one. Seeing as it is the last one, I thought it would be nice to get some opinions about which sketch to go for. The last mission to cover is "Base Defence", and it's going to an homage to Star Wars, specifically the first five minutes of the film, with that unforgettable boarding action. Henry's made two different sketches, here they are. Which would you prefer?

Xpose020Acopy_zps3ceed73f.jpg

Xpose020Bcopy_zps687b99fb.jpg

I didn't specify which alien to draw - I thionk Henry did Androns because he likes Androns! And before anyone says anything, I will ask that the Xenonauts be dressed in Xeno armour - probably Jackal armour.

I prefer the viewpoint of the first one but the second one has a darker feel to it, more last ditch.

However the first picture has Androns taking cover while the second one shows them sprinting, neither of those sit quite right with me.

I see them more like the terminator assaulting the police station in the original film.

Slow but implacable.

Not sure how you would manage that in a drawing though, probably just look like they were standing round the coffee machine :P

Gorlom: Is that thothkins?

Gauddlike: Hmmm. there's no limp, hunchback or drooling so I don't think so.

Gorlom: I wonder if not-thothkins gets a vote

Not-thothkins: Thn futtom yun

Gauddlike: Sorry? I didn't quite catch that through the heavy scarf and the Groucho disguise.

Not-thothkins: Thn futtom yun!

Gorlom: Hang on that's no fake nose! And look! Behind the scarf ...drooling! It is thothkins

not-thothkins-but is: um...Remember! rigging elections is bad! It's selfish and greedy and a bad thing to do against people who have luckily caught you or you would have got away with it. Darn kids....

Part of the problem is that Caesans, Sebbies and Androns are all "main" races, which means their choice of arms is fairly homogenous, which in turn makes a mix of the three less than satisfactory to visually represent as Team Alien seeing they would all do the same thing. A better mix would be Harridans with Caesans, or Drones with Androns. In retrospect, possibly the best mix to visually represent would have been Reapers with Sebillians. I may in the future commish Henry to do a scene with Reapers and Sebbie handlers - great hulking lizards wearing thick armour, carrying glowing shockprods standing around a caged Reaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay gang, Henry's finished the pic. I'm working on it now, going to do a full update so it's up to date with the latest build.

EDIT: I know Gauddlike's gonna be upset... but here's the finished pic.

baseattack_zps95ef217a.jpg

EDIT 2: Updated for v21.5, the v20 stable is currently still uploading. 21.5 link

EDIT 3: Okay, and the v20 stable update is up.

Future updates

I'll update this mod each time the build changes, but I'm not going to touch the writing until the game releases. That's because there's always the possibility that Chris or Aaron could suddenly have a new idea of be inspired by a forumite and suddenly change things around, so I'm going to wait now until release or close to release and then make the final edits to the work.

Edited by Max_Caine

I am just going to assume the Andron on the left is kneeling for accuracy and the one on the right is just attempting to walk through that door frame rather than using it for cover.

Also that appears to be a scoped precision rifle firing a burst on the right.

Not being picky or anything :P

Seriously though I do like that picture and I reckon it is a great addition to the mod.

• 2 months later...