Inventory fine tuning

zolobolo

I would like to add it, but as I said above the inventory system is fragile - the last thing we want to do is implement something relatively minor like that and end up breaking things, when we already have way bigger fish to fry.
How about if you just make the backpack wider, but not as tall. That will solve a lot of problems.

No, we need the ability to put a shield in a pack. Don't make it too short.
Why not just turn the shield sideways in the pack? What's weird is why chose to store some things horzontially and others vertically. If they were unifom this whole pack thing would be a lot simpler. Makes no sense to me. I also don't understand why some things take up so much space in the pack, like a pistol. Edited by StellarRat

I'd rather all the weapons be vertical.

100% agree. It would make sense and would also be a nice reminder on the original since weapons were also vertical there BUT: The base equipment menu has a concept that requires them to be horizontal so question is if that may change or would not interfere. Tactical combat GUI also contains them vertically though that may not be a problem since it just takes the image as it is from the source I guess.

It would be cool and I have wondered when I first saw the place of the pistol in the belt why it is arranged like that but then though it is probably due to the inventory settings in the base and how it is carried over to the combat. If we would to rotate weapons all the time during equipment it is not worth it but vertical weapons would take up more space in the weapons roster.

I'd rather all the weapons be vertical. I mean, they'd be stored barrel up or down anyway, wouldn't they? Safest place to point the weapon, and it'd be the most logical if it were on a sling.

The pistol could fit in like that too, that is, vertically.

That would be fine with me too. I guess my main point is that rather than make the items rotatable (I could see this causing quite a bit of work) most of issues could be solved by storing them in the proper orientation (most space efficient for the pack) to start with.

If rockets became vertical then they could only be stored in the backpack, they wouldn't fit on the belt any more. This would make reloading and even more ap-costly affair.
I said they should store stuff in the most space efficient orientation, I think rockets are pretty much same in either direction. Also, they could make the belt a bit taller. As long as a rifle doesn't fit in it should be OK. I've seen pictures of soldiers carry RPG rockets and bazooka rounds and I don't ever recall them being carried horizonally on a belt. I've RPG rounds carried on ammo sling horizonally, but never that way on a belt.

Well, I threw together a mockup of how I'd like to see the inventory redone, along with one of the current inventory and that of Enemy Unknown, along with the stats of how much stuff you can cram in there for each of the three methods.

Enjoy!

Xenonauts Inventory Ideas.jpg

Xenonauts Inventory Ideas2.jpg

Apparently you can't read them, due to tiny text. :P

Here's a link to my dropbox where you can get the PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mf9fc5pp699h6dn/Xenonauts%20Inventory%20Ideas.pdf

Xenonauts Inventory Ideas.jpg

Xenonauts Inventory Ideas2.jpg

577e7cc1b59e8_XenonautsInventoryIdeas.jp

577e7cc1b84e3_XenonautsInventoryIdeas2.j

Well, I threw together a mockup of how I'd like to see the inventory redone, along with one of the current inventory and that of Enemy Unknown, along with the stats of how much stuff you can cram in there for each of the three methods.

Enjoy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2695[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2696[/ATTACH]

Apparently you can't read them, due to tiny text. :P

Here's a link to my dropbox where you can get the PDF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mf9fc5pp699h6dn/Xenonauts%20Inventory%20Ideas.pdf

I like your proposal, but I have substantial doubts that GH is going to want to make that many changes to the inventory UI. I could see them changing the shape of the existing storage though. I especially like the pistol expansion you've proposed on the belt.

I've always thought that things were a big wonky with the inventory stuffs. I hope that they have time to smooth out the code if they get the chance.

Your proposal looks good, but it'll require some expansions of the existing code (like knowing to rotate the guns sideways when you go into the hands).

Well, the "shape" of the gun doesn't matter at all. I mean, you can place anything into the hands, shield, rockets, corpses even? I dunno. Anyway, the shape doesn't limit how it's put into the hands.

Making the images flip, which is what I realize you're talking about, that /may/ be an issue, but I doubt it would be super difficult. (Getting it to work with the apparently fragile code could be another thing, though.)

I see what you are getting at with your inventory idea Gizmo, and it is 'neat' in that reflects a realistic kit configuration - but it also appears intentionally more restrictive on player gear (mainly by splitting the large backpack into 3 discreet pieces) and would also require us to implement inventory rotation to make it practical. At this stage of the project it's just unlikely we will get the time and want to take the risk of doing that for ambiguous benefit.

I see what you are getting at with your inventory idea Gizmo, and it is 'neat' in that reflects a realistic kit configuration - but it also appears intentionally more restrictive on player gear (mainly by splitting the large backpack into 3 discreet pieces) and would also require us to implement inventory rotation to make it practical. At this stage of the project it's just unlikely we will get the time and want to take the risk of doing that for ambiguous benefit.

Yeah, I didn't actually expect it to be implemented. I think it would make choosing your loadouts more important instead of simply giving everyone a sniper rifle, a shotgun, and a rocket launcher, but the current system is fine, if not a little wonky in that you can't have a shield and a rifle in your pack simultaneously.

If I were to advocate any changes, it'd be flipping shields in your pack to be horizontal like your guns, or flipping the guns to be vertical like the shield. I'd prefer vertical, since then we'd be able to put a vertical RL in the pack and a full load of rockets, but that'd involve more work (all of the long arms vs just two shields). It'd be a great benefit, though.

I don't mean adding a rotation system for the inventory; I mean permanently flipping the images and "pack sizes" (if that makes sense) of the weapon when it's in the pack vs when it's in your hands. If the inventory itself, the square arrangement and the like, isn't changed, then only flipping the shields/rifles would be needed; the pistol and stun rod could stay the way they were.

Edited by GizmoGomez