Research ideas

Tobbzn

In my opinion, there are too few researches. Even with the new research speed, I run out of stuff to research - not only the stuff I want for my specific strategy, but I even finish off all the other researches too.

On the other hand, there are "timesink" researches such as Alien Plasma Technology that do nothing and only unlock Laser Weaponry, begging the question of why the projects aren't rolled into one.

I think researches that do something irrelevant to your current strategy or that branch into multiple options are more fun than linear research paths, so I came up with a few suggestions in the hope that the finished game lets you dip into all the strategies, but not fully specialize in everything at the same time. If there's just one strategy, replayability suffers.

UFOs

[ship class] Radar recalibration

Prerequisites: [ship class] datacore.

Effect: Improves pickup range for [ship class] by x%

Motivation: Along with a focus on fighters and the improved fuels suggestion, this would allow for tailoring your research plans to a specific air superiority strategy, enhancing the strategic layer.

Weaponry

Gyroscopic Scope

Prerequisite: None

Effect: If you haven't moved, your first aimed shot reduces the TU cost of subsequent aimed shots by 10 and grants an effective 10-point accuracy boost against that enemy. Lasts until the soldier moves, shoots another target, or loses line of sight. Does not stack and does not affect alien weapons.

Motivation: Gives you the ability to invest in weaponry right off the bat and reduces the agony of rookies with rifles trying to use aimed shots, especially considering they don't have the TU for sniper rifles. Later on, it enables firing multiple aimed shots in a turn if entrenched and encourages a sniper staying put after firing if his target is still up, as opposed to firing then moving every time.

Laser trajectory analyzer

Prerequisites: Advanced Lasers

Effect: If a laser shot would cause friendly fire, it fails to execute. TUs are still spent, but ammo isn't.

Persistent plasma

Prerequisites: Plasma weaponry

Effect: Increases the chance of missed plasma shots causing fire. A shot that ignites a flame suppresses more than normal.

Portable plasma cell converter

Prerequisites: Advanced plasmas

Effect: Lets plasma weaponry reload using scavenged alien plasma cells.

Vehicles

Improved vehicle armor

Prerequisites: Alien Plasma Technology

Effect: Improves vehicle (front?) armor.

Motivation: Referencing the Iceland incident, previous tank models were sliced to pieces. Using the same logic that has our soldiers start out without armor, it seems reasonable that our vehicles are relatively lightly armored too. Once data from alien plasma tech is in, however, armor can be improved, even before we get to the Scimitar.

Vehicle engine upgrade

Prerequisites: Alien reactor

Effect: Increases vehicle TU by 10. Allows a vehicle to enter "power saver" mode, spending 60 TU to generate one charge for its laser weapon.

Vehicle fusion engine upgrade

Prerequisites: Alien fusion reactor

Effect: Further increases vehicle TU by 10. Power Saver mode TU cost reduced to 50, and can be used to generate ammo for a plasma weapon. Bigger explosion when vehicle is destroyed.

Motivations: Beyond weapon swaps, vehicles feel very static, and large alien bases leave vehicles useless pretty fast with their limited ammo capacity. More upgrade levels enables you to focus on vehicles, enhancing the strategy layer.

Aircraft

Dropship power outlet

Prerequisites: Alien Reactor, Laser Weaponry

Effect: Lets a laser weapon be recharged without any batteries when standing in the dropship. Also holds for vehicles.

Effect 2: Improves dropship refueling rate by x%

Dropship supercharger

Prerequisites: Alien Fusion Reactor, Plasma Weaponry

Effect: Lets a plasma weapon be recharged without any plasma cells when standing in the dropship. Also holds for vehicles

Effect 2: Further improves dropship refueling rate by y%

Fuel upgrade

Prerequisites: Alenium

Effect: Increases effective fuel capacity for all planes by x%

Motivation: A low priority for most strategies, a player focusing on air superiority with multiple interceptor bases but only one dropship would prioritize this.

Can I just say, I love it when Deltas head breaks. : )

I like the idea of allowing vehicles to gain back shots for their weapon, but that could be abused if not balanced carefully. Especially currently, where you can get all the possible stat improvements for your soldiers then don't need to worry about kill allocation.

The idea of less... impactful researches is worth thinking about further in general I'd say, though I'd be very leery of assuming there was space in the game design for even moderate additions at this point. The team want to be feature complete for v20 remember. Still, no reason we shouldn't brainstorm and see what else we can come up with.

Some topics to decrease the cost of manufacturing, or facility construction? Or to decrease the time taken for facility construction? Enhanced smoke grenades or flashbangs? (FBs that WORK for example! Or smoke that lasts longer)