Humor in research reports

Drakale

Okay so here is my biggest gripe with the game.

We have the Xenonaut team, cream of the cream, savior of humanity, the last shot we got against the alien menace. They die by the dozen to get our research staff much needed technology and protect civilians for the same salary as everyone else on the base. And we have our research center, acting like 12 year old in the reports with the nerd vs jock quips and flippant remarks. Honestly if I was commander of this base I would send whoever wrote this report on the front lines with a shock baton, even if that meant I'd have to fight aliens with sticks from this point on.

Really, I like most of the reports, but please lose the out of character jokes and flippant attitude, this is serious alien killing business :/

The research reports are supposed to be direct reports from the head scientist to the commander (the player), and the head scientist is in turn supposed to be an arrogant prick. Having a chip on your shoulder is not an uncommon attitude amongst those who are (or believe themselves to be) gifted, and in a way reinforces the "we'll take whatever we can get and work with it" nature of the Xenonauts as an organisation.

Edited by Elydo

I always found it amusing, myself. It paints a nice portrait of the guy as a narcissistic and incredibly petty individual that apparently has no idea of the qualifications that actually go into being, say, the infantrymen or engineers he constantly belittles; just as demanding, if not more so, than his work, but in a different area.

On the flipside, he's nothing less than absolutely dedicated to what he's doing, and doing it very well, and makes no bones about keeping his particular section of the facility efficient and secure (read the Reaper notes). He's just an arrogant jackass, but capability and proficiency can cover a multitude of sins.

Edited by EchoFourDelta

The latest version of the game has the "finished" Xenopedia and they have been toned down a bit - the humour and sarcasm is no longer forced in at every available opportunity, because I thought there were some instances where I'd gone too far and it was a bit clumsy.

However, I think having the arrogant asshole scientist is a good thing in general. It gives the game a bit more character (which is important when there's no actual in-game characters that aren't entirely randomly generated and therefore utterly devoid of character), and it is sort of justified by the fact you can't just replace a scientific genius if you think he's got a bad attitude. Many famous geniuses are characterised by being rather difficult people in some way.

Your personal mileage may vary with my writing and it's cool with me if you think it's bad, but I hope that more people will like it than dislike it.

The latest version of the game has the "finished" Xenopedia and they have been toned down a bit - the humour and sarcasm is no longer forced in at every available opportunity, because I thought there were some instances where I'd gone too far and it was a bit clumsy.

However, I think having the arrogant asshole scientist is a good thing in general. It gives the game a bit more character (which is important when there's no actual in-game characters that aren't entirely randomly generated and therefore utterly devoid of character), and it is sort of justified by the fact you can't just replace a scientific genius if you think he's got a bad attitude. Many famous geniuses are characterised by being rather difficult people in some way.

Your personal mileage may vary with my writing and it's cool with me if you think it's bad, but I hope that more people will like it than dislike it.

This is definitely one of my favorite little "novel" parts of the game.

I'm happy with the scientist being an arrogant jerk because I'm also an arrogant jerk, so I can relate. Also, I'm glad it's not someone who spouts catchphrases, references, or random humour. Or even the kind of character who sulks and says things like, "We shouldn't play God!" Naff off, I want to play God.

I do believe that a certain disassociation with violence, due to (over)exposure, can lead to a little black humour here & there.

Case in point, try looking up: "war quotes & humour."

...People have said some pretty funny things after landing an artillery barrage on an enemy line, and then watching them run around on fire...

I do believe that a certain disassociation with violence, due to (over)exposure, can lead to a little black humour here & there.

...People have said some pretty funny things after landing an artillery barrage on an enemy line, and then watching them run around on fire...

Shake and bake.

I'm glad no-one here would make jokes about people who've been set on fire. (;