Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [v8.61] Israeli Soldiers (Need Help With Names)

[v8.61] Israeli Soldiers (Need Help With Names)

Hey all,

I was inspired by Pinetree's excellent ANZAC soldiers mod to add a bit more soldier background diversity to the game myself. I settled on Israeli soldiers, as given the high level of day-to-day conflict in the Middle East, the fact that the Yom Kippur War is a relatively recent historical event in the Xenonauts setting, and Israel's close ties with the US, I figured that they would be a logical choice for inclusion into Earth's finest. They'll pop up at about the same rate as Japanese soldiers.

This mod adds in Israeli as a usable background for Xenonaut soldiers, with Shayetet 13 (a naval commando unit which specializes in things such as boarding actions, thus making them a logical choice for UFO breaching operations) and the Golani Brigade (a notable Israeli infantry brigade) as potential units of recruitment, with the Yom Kippur War as combat experience.

However, this mod can still be polished some more, and I could use some help. I'm not very knowledgeable about the Israeli military; the above changes are based solely upon some research I've done. If I am incorrect anywhere, I'd love for somebody to let me know.

Also, I'm not very familiar with Jewish naming conventions; as such, I used a random name generator to create the soldiers' names, though I plan on going back and doing more in-depth name research when Wikipedia's back up. :P
    In any case, if anyone reading this knows something about common Jewish names, please share so I can change the given names of the soldiers in order to more accurately reflect Israeli traditions.

Installation
    To install the mod, simply extract the attached .zip archive containing soldiernames.xml and strings.xml into your desura/common/xenonauts/assets directory. Be sure to back up your own soldiernames.xml and strings.xml first!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TheTuninator; 01-18-2012 at 17:55.

This is cool too. Nice to see some people modding the game already.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Isn't modding an alpha build being a little premature? I love modding but I think I'll wait.
    "It's just lucky for her that an alien came through that door instead of her husband." - Cmdr. Ed Straker on UFO

Steely-Eyed Bug Hunter Pinetree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Straker View Post
    Isn't modding an alpha build being a little premature? I love modding but I think I'll wait.
    It's only a few lines in a couple of xml files so it's not difficult nor time-consuming, so why not? Plus the research is fun and interesting.

The Six-Day War is also viable for previous combat experience I think.
    "This is a primitive culture. I am here to facilitate its incorporation"

Staker it's just adding soldiers to the game. it isnt affecting gameplay. If anything it just means we get more variation in the soldiers without Chris haveing to do extra work.

Quote Originally Posted by Straker View Post
    Why is it premature? It's not like the basic text files of the game are going to change between now and release, and I see no reason not to get started modding as soon as possible.

We're afforded a unique chance to be able to play Xenonauts as it develops and give our own feedback and contributions; modding is a great way to do that, as well as helping out Chris and the team by adding additional content to the game.

Plus, if Xenonauts has a thriving modding community on release, that can only be good for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    The Six-Day War is also viable for previous combat experience I think.
    Yeah, I'm thinking about throwing that in, though by 1979 I felt it might have been a little dated. Still, I might.

Steely-Eyed Bug Hunter Pinetree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTuninator View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking about throwing that in, though by 1979 I felt it might have been a little dated. Still, I might.
    Well, an Israeli soldier alive in 1979 who fought in the Six Day War would have most probably fought in Yom Kippur as well but you may as well include it, it adds some more flavour.
    The Borneo and Malaya experiences in my mod happened in the mid-60s but I included them anyway. A soldier in his mid-30s in 1979 would have fought there. It looks a bit wierd when a 23- year old has them but again, it adds more flavour.
    I wonder if we could have age-based experiences by having a field in the experience tag that sets a minimum age for that war.
    i.e. <experience age="26">Vietnam</experience>

Some Israeli soldiers are not Jewish (Druze, Arab, etc).
    "It's just lucky for her that an alien came through that door instead of her husband." - Cmdr. Ed Straker on UFO

If you have any name suggestions, PM them to me and I'll implement them! Haven't had much time to work this week, but I hope to update it over the weekend.