[v8.61] Israeli Soldiers (Need Help With Names)

TheTuninator

Hey all,

I was inspired by Pinetree's excellent ANZAC soldiers mod to add a bit more soldier background diversity to the game myself. I settled on Israeli soldiers, as given the high level of day-to-day conflict in the Middle East, the fact that the Yom Kippur War is a relatively recent historical event in the Xenonauts setting, and Israel's close ties with the US, I figured that they would be a logical choice for inclusion into Earth's finest. They'll pop up at about the same rate as Japanese soldiers.

This mod adds in Israeli as a usable background for Xenonaut soldiers, with Shayetet 13 (a naval commando unit which specializes in things such as boarding actions, thus making them a logical choice for UFO breaching operations) and the Golani Brigade (a notable Israeli infantry brigade) as potential units of recruitment, with the Yom Kippur War as combat experience.

israelimod2.png

However, this mod can still be polished some more, and I could use some help. I'm not very knowledgeable about the Israeli military; the above changes are based solely upon some research I've done. If I am incorrect anywhere, I'd love for somebody to let me know.

Also, I'm not very familiar with Jewish naming conventions; as such, I used a random name generator to create the soldiers' names, though I plan on going back and doing more in-depth name research when Wikipedia's back up. :P

In any case, if anyone reading this knows something about common Jewish names, please share so I can change the given names of the soldiers in order to more accurately reflect Israeli traditions.

Installation

To install the mod, simply extract the attached .zip archive containing soldiernames.xml and strings.xml into your desura/common/xenonauts/assets directory. Be sure to back up your own soldiernames.xml and strings.xml first!

israelisoldiers.zip

israelimod2.jpg

israelisoldiers.zip

israelimod2.jpg

israelisoldiers.zip

israelimod2.jpg.c02339cbaa7e4d2c64534dd8

Edited by TheTuninator

Isn't modding an alpha build being a little premature? I love modding but I think I'll wait.

Why is it premature? It's not like the basic text files of the game are going to change between now and release, and I see no reason not to get started modding as soon as possible.

We're afforded a unique chance to be able to play Xenonauts as it develops and give our own feedback and contributions; modding is a great way to do that, as well as helping out Chris and the team by adding additional content to the game.

Plus, if Xenonauts has a thriving modding community on release, that can only be good for the game.

The Six-Day War is also viable for previous combat experience I think.

Yeah, I'm thinking about throwing that in, though by 1979 I felt it might have been a little dated. Still, I might.

Yeah, I'm thinking about throwing that in, though by 1979 I felt it might have been a little dated. Still, I might.

Well, an Israeli soldier alive in 1979 who fought in the Six Day War would have most probably fought in Yom Kippur as well but you may as well include it, it adds some more flavour.

The Borneo and Malaya experiences in my mod happened in the mid-60s but I included them anyway. A soldier in his mid-30s in 1979 would have fought there. It looks a bit wierd when a 23- year old has them but again, it adds more flavour.

I wonder if we could have age-based experiences by having a field in the experience tag that sets a minimum age for that war.

i.e. <experience age="26">Vietnam</experience>

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but since I'm an Israeli, I could definitely help with this project.

For starters, I'd use Sayeret Matkal rather than Golani Brigade. After all, they were, and still are, a major anti-terrorist and deep-recon special force belonging to the IDF Military Intelligence. Golani are regular infantry, though they have also have a Sayeret (spec-force unit) of their own. Oh, and Entebbe was in 1976. Shayetet 13 (naval special forces) or even Tzanchanim (paratroopers) could also be good backgrounds.

Both Six Day war and Yom Kippur War should be backgrounds, though most younger soldiers who fought in the former have also fought, at least as reserve personnel, in the latter.

A few Israeli first names:

Aharon

Alon

Amos

Arie

Ariel

Assa

Assaf

Aviel

Avigdor

Avner

Avraham