Medal Types?

Chris

I hoped that everybody know those :rolleyes: - all US

ufo-d.jpg

Top row, from left:

Achievement Army, Achievement Navy, Achievement Air Force, Bronze Star, Commendation Air Force, Commendation Army and Commendation Navy

Second row, from left:

Distinguished Sevice Army, Distinguished Sevice Navy, Distinguished Sevice Air Force, Distinguished Sevice Cross Air Force, Distinguished Sevice Cross Army, Distinguished Sevice Cross Navy and Legion of Merit Legionnaire

Third row, from left:

Meritorious Service Medal, Navy Marine Corps Medal, Purple Heart, Silver Star, and Soldiers Medal

ufo-d.jpg

ufo-d.thumb.jpg.8e54a32706531fb86a062bad

I'd prefere if Xenonauts used Chineese or Russian medals just because I'm tired of the Amarican centric viewpoint (Something that REALLY piss me of with the new FPS XCOM is that it's all about America. Is USA the only nation worth saveing XCOM? BAH). Or use medals from all over the world EXCEPT for America.

I've not read through all pages of this thread, but perhaps there could be an award similar the Combat Action Badge? Basically, it would be granted to any soldier who participated in a mission. It'd be a nice introduction to the medal system for new players, has a real counterpart, makes soldiers less interchangeable, and encourages players to get their soldiers some more medals.

My Pictures of medals and suggestions for awarding.

http://s017.radikal.ru/i428/1205/43/9db8b79c1666.jpg

"Service Medal"

Medal is awarded for long service in combat units.

Terms and conditions:

- To serve at least 1 year;

- A soldier in the asset must be at least 5 kills.

In addition, to introduce a "bar for service", relating to the region. Everytime "bar for service" 50 missions in a particular region.

The first is given a medal for awarding.

"Long Service Medal"

Medal is awarded for long service in combat units.

Terms and conditions:

- To be awarded with «Service Medal»;

- To serve at least 3 years;

- A soldier in the asset must be at least 25 kills.

Awarded Medal of changes in the «Service Medal» keeping "strips for the service".

"The Medal of Civil Commendation"

Medal is awarded for participation in the mission to protect the city from the terror of strangers.

Terms and conditions:

- Participation in the mission to rescue the five cities or more;

- Ranking missions should not be below "average."

"Iron Skull"

Medal is awarded for a win in mission with a superior enemy (number), the last survivor of a soldier.

Conditions:

- The group took part in the mission must be at least five soldiers;

- Combat effeciency in the battle must be at least three murders.

- Total number of "live" aliens at the beginning of the battle must be at least 10.

It should be noted that this medal should be quite rare, so has the "hard" requirements.

Subject to the loss of four soldiers, you can add a high bonus to this award.

Edited by War Games

Just noting my objection to the iron skull medal because I dislike that type on principle. I'm not going to argue against it again (So you don't have to discuss that with me wargames, I won't answer.) as I have previously expressed my reasons for it earlier in this thread.

Just noting my objection to the iron skull medal because I dislike that type on principle. I'm not going to argue against it again (So you don't have to discuss that with me wargames, I won't answer.) as I have previously expressed my reasons for it earlier in this thread.

Suggest something else, maybe it would be a good idea, and I will be able to make changes.

Also, I don't think it's unrealistic that there actually could be a sole survivor; I've had this happen to me, and one of the most widely-circulated X-COM war stories, The Legend of Patrick Stewart, features a sole survivor moment.

What an awesome story :)

I propose that the sole survivor medal be named Star of Picard ;)

And that there should be at least 7 dead or unconscious other soldiers for the soldier to get it.

Another medal I would like to see is a Combat Medic Medal.

I think that these medals and ribbons should be very rare and hard to get and that the developers shouldn't tell people how to get them, it should be a pleasant surprise when your soldiers get them.

Kill 5 alines in a single mission AND mantain at elast 2 kills per mission for 10 missions = Bane of the Xenos (Crux Terminatus)

Insted of enhancing your morale, this medal reduces the morale of every enemy that sees you.:cool:

Edited by TrashMan

Ah, yes! I only played the second one. It was pretty awesome though.

If you look at the Kickstarter video you can see a lot of medals that Goldhawk has designed already. I see some of the names we suggested in the beginning of this thread. It's at 3:16

• 1 month later...
My Pictures of medals and suggestions for awarding.

http://s017.radikal.ru/i428/1205/43/9db8b79c1666.jpg

Really nice work and initiative. However I too would prefer not to see skull type medals in game.

From my perspective, we will be controlling humanity's finest forces with the best resources in a unified effort to defend itself. From that starting point, using imagery of death and doom doesn't fit with the ideology, and feels wrong. For me it brings Nazi SS symbols to mind, which is probably the antithesis of what we should be aiming for.

In my opinion, medal symbols should be positive and humanist. I'm thinking along the lines of Eagles, the Earth, Shields, maybe something like Da Vinci's vitruvian man. Something that highlights the best ideals of humanity.

On a different subject regarding earlier arguments I read, I don't think there is anything wrong with using purple heart as a medal. Yes it is very American, but its also iconic, and it means something. We could make something original just for the sake of being original, but my feeling is that any imitation medal with a different name would be lesser.

Medals and bars.

I feel you should be awarded a medal for a given campain (a given ammount of killing in a continent). Once you have achieved the medal you then start working towards bars.

for example:

Fighting in Europe:

10 missions = 1 medal

Further 10 Missions = bar added to medal.

etc.

The key is that this is in Europe, there are a lot of continents and a Solider could complete missions in each contnent and get the acculimated campaing medal.

Soliders could recieve a medal such as long service and good conduct. surviving xx months without killing civilians/property.

been awarded for taking a bullet should also be noted (perhaps standing infront of a team mate on a predictable next turn shot).

I think awarding medals for the ammount of kills could be classed as a little distaistfull and capturing aliens should be better than killing them.

However, special achievments could/should be awarded such as bravery, good shots, healing others.

In simple:

Award Medals for completing xx battles in a given zone/continent.

Award medals based on clean service history

Award selfless acts and skillful moves (shots, healing taking a bullet)

In my opinion, medal symbols should be positive and humanist. I'm thinking along the lines of Eagles, the Earth, Shields, maybe something like Da Vinci's vitruvian man. Something that highlights the best ideals of humanity.

Why eagles? the medals should not use any US or another country symbols. (like bears for soviet ones)

full-size-second-united-nations-emergency-force-medal-unef-ii-2229-p%5Bekm%5D300x224%5Bekm%5D.jpg

This is a medal from United Nations, we can have something similar but with another phrase.

or

L9369.jpg

UNIFIL Peacekeeping medal

(sorry for my english, not my native languaje)