Medal Types?

Chris

This is the provisional list I have at my end for the 10 medals each soldier could (potentially) gain. The Orders and Service medals replace earlier medals, so you only have one of each type at any time. However, the Bravery gains are cumulative so the Dstinguished Service Medal would give you +3 Bravery.

Crimson Heart – Wounded in Action (taken 50% health, rather just than being injured)

Military Cross – Kill five aliens on a single mission

Survival Medal – Only survivor of a victorious mission

Crux Solaris – Capture an alien leader alive

Saviour Medal - Kill an alien psion mind-controlling a friendly unit

Citation for Valor – Survive a victorious alien base attack mission, spending at least 100AP

Citation for Courage – Survive a victorious terror mission, spending at least 100AP

Citation for Bravery – Survive a victorious base defence mission, spending at least 100AP

Order of Gallantry – Kill 5 aliens (+1)

Order of Merit – Kill 10 aliens (+2)

Order of Terra – Kill 20 aliens (+3)

Service Medal – Survive 10 missions, spending at least 100AP each time (+1)

Long Service Medal – Survive 20 missions, spending at least 100AP each time (+2)

Distinguished Service Medal – Survive 30 missions, spending at least 100AP each time (+3)

I think that gives a decent mix of hard to get one-off medals, and those that will be achieved in time. A good soldier who has been around for say 15 missions should probably have about 5 medals on that list, I reckon.

Really good ones here. Hope these get accepted! I just started laughing at "Ninja" ;D

Suggestions:

Tanker: Kill all the Aliens with a single tank

Miracle Man: Kill all the aliens with a single regular soldier

Flying Savior: Destroy three UFO's in the air (Not crash landing)

Protecter: Take a shot to save a civilian or other soldier.

Dyeing Kill: Kill an Alien with a grenade the turn after you've died. (Aliens turn)

That's all, sorry if they may sound like Achievements. :/

Changed it from Chuck Norris (Bad meme), to Miracle Man. If thats a reference to something, then yay :)

Awww shucks Chris! Oh well, was still fun thinking them up =]

took the words right out of my mouth.

and although i do not agree at having multiple medals for the same type of action

I guess having medals is better than not having any at all :S, although i would hope you reconsider and allow for the star placement instead of individual medals. And the game can have lots of medals just getting them wouldn't be that easy :)

my reason for this lets take

Citation for Valor – Survive a victorious alien base attack mission, spending at least 100AP

how will you differentiate a vet that has survived let say 5 or more of this type of missions in contrast with a newbie that just completed its first mission. the incremental awarding allows you to see that one is a seasoned vet while the other is barely emerging.

Any way just my $0.02

Edited by xracer

Might I suggest removing the above one Chris? I realise that it is hard to get (and nigh impossible to farm) but really this one is impossible. Even good players, I think would evac their surviving members rather than keep pushing in the hope that one of them might get this. And if you are that out numbered and your men are falling like flies, why would you think that your last man would make it? Not to mention the terrible bravery he's going to have after ALL his team mates have just died. So really the only way to get this is if you save scum like Gorlom suggested, and that's nothing that should be rewarded. IMO.

Might I suggest the one below instead?

Star of St. John/Star of Asclepius - Survived a fatal wound

You still get the 'survived a overwhelming situation' feel, there is no way to save scum it (because there is no indication during the battle if he will survive or not), it can't be farmed (because you may well kill your men), plus you're actually likely to get some of these through the normal course of the game (and feel happy about it if it's one of your best men!)

just my 2 cents =]

Ha ha maybe we should wait for the alien AI and all races to appear before we start making them too high =p

Yes you are correct, and right now the only one with the inside info is Chris, i guess it really depends on what they like and how they like it.

Our goal was to come up with good names and good ideas on what the medals would be what they implement i out of our hands, although i hope they would look at our suggestions a little closer :)

With regard to your comment on the survival medal, it has happened to me, especially if you are playing Iron Man mode this can happen a little more often, i am not saying every mission but at least twice in like 4-6 months of play, it has happened to me. So yes the medal is implausible to achieve but not impossible.

Also i am still trying to hammer in the pin (star) system. I think for a game that is trying to "emulate" a 1970's somewhat pseudo-realistic scenario then the medals system should also try to emulate said pseudo-realism. also if you don't want all the medals to be too similar by all having the stars, different pin can be created. Anyway i think i am letting my feelings get involved. :D

star's are often actual medals, often quite high ones, so perhaps just keep them as 'pins'

Yes stars are actual medals or rather multi-award medal. at least that is how it work in the Marines (US) that is why i listed, the first award you get the ribbon and subsequent you get the pin (star) some have stars some have leafs there are a multitude of pins. but i digress it all depends on what the developers want, we are here to provide ideas only :)

Yes stars are actual medals or rather multi-award medal. at least that is how it work in the Marines (US) that is why i listed, the first award you get the ribbon and subsequent you get the pin (star) some have stars some have leafs there are a multitude of pins. but i digress it all depends on what the developers want, we are here to provide ideas only :)

Ok I was meaning that the name 'star' be synonymous with 'medal' or 'cross,' while pips or ribbons or pins would be the subset of medals that you can get better versions of.

That way, taking my example of the Star of Asclepius that is it's full name, not the Star of Asclepius Medal. See what I mean?

yes completely miss read that one.

I do see what you mean, and yes of course the "Star of ****" or "***** Cross" are medals and no need to add Medal at the end. and for those medals that can be achieve multiple times a "pin" of any shape could be added.

Ok I was meaning that the name 'star' be synonymous with 'medal' or 'cross,' while pips or ribbons or pins would be the subset of medals that you can get better versions of.

That way, taking my example of the Star of Asclepius that is it's full name, not the Star of Asclepius Medal. See what I mean?

Also a clarification a "Ribbon" represents a medal the Ribbons are usually displayed "Service uniforms" (not Utility uniforms) and they represent the medals you have achieve, the actual medals are usually displayed on "Dress uniforms" for the marines the Dress Blues Dress Whites and other variations, that is based on what is the requirements to wear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps

Edited by xracer

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately, and knowing full well my arrival on the scene may be post festum, I'll submit the only original idea I've come up with: Incentivising Good Deeds Towards Civilian Folk.

How about decorating a soldier for, say, eliminating a certain number of alien threats that have human non-combatants in their sights?

Also a clarification a "Ribbon" represents a medal the Ribbons are usually displayed "Service uniforms" (not Utility uniforms) and they represent the medals you have achieve, the actual medals are usually displayed on "Dress uniforms" for the marines the Dress Blues Dress Whites and other variations, that is based on what is the requirements to wear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps

Ah yes of course! Sorry about that. Still might be a good, much smaller way to represent any medals that don't give bonuses etc.

Most of the medal suggestions above are still achievement awards. Come on, how many countries give medals for "kill 5 enemies?" Look on the internet to see what real people have to do to be awarded medals such as the Medal of Honor, Victoria Cross, Hero of the Soviet Union, etc. I have a stack of medals from the lower/middle end of the spectrum and even those weren't easy.

Most of the medal suggestions above are still achievement awards. Come on, how many countries give medals for "kill 5 enemies?" Look on the internet to see what real people have to do to be awarded medals such as the Medal of Honor, Victoria Cross, Hero of the Soviet Union, etc. I have a stack of medals from the lower/middle end of the spectrum and even those weren't easy.

As AD pointed out, you only need 5 confirmed kills to be a fighter 'ace' and the US customarily awards Silver Stars or higher to people who become aces. Plus, killing aliens is considerably harder than killing people.

as AD and Chris have noted some medals are not uncommon at all, for example to receive the National Defense Medal (in the US) you only need to serve so as soon as you sign up you got a medal (it used to be when i served), remember medals are to give recognition for achievements all medals are for that, whether for throwing yourself on top of a grenade to save a fellow combatant or to simply give your time to serve in the military,

Other medal you do "nothing" to receive is the Good conduct medal, as long as you do "nothing" meaning you do not get in trouble you do not go to the jail or nothing bad more specifically then you get it at your 3 years mark and you will get it again at your 6 years marks.

That is the reasoning behind having some "common" medals and some distinguished medals.

I still prefer a weapon proficiency award for confirmed kills with a specific weapon, rather than the basic x kills = medal.

I like the sound of rewarding grenade proficiency, pistol marksmanship etc rather than a basic, one size fits all achievement.

Maybe there should be a valour medal for a soldier who achieves a number of mission objectives as well?

For example 5 times they kill the final alien in a base defence or are in the control room for a ufo capture etc.

Perhaps there should be a record of landmarks as well.

If you don't like the sound of giving medals for the first of an alien type being captured and that sort of thing.

I would like to be able to look back at a soldier and see that he fired the first laser pistol ever used in combat, was the first to kill a Sebillian and took part in capturing the first Dreadnought class alien vessel.

If this could be accessed to allow people to mod in other medals for some of these achievements, or to flag up new ones, it would even better.

If I'm not mistaken, proficiency is something earned in training, which would allow for the addition of training badges. That would be nice.

This is the provisional list I have at my end for the 10 medals each soldier could (potentially) gain. The Orders and Service medals replace earlier medals, so you only have one of each type at any time. However, the Bravery gains are cumulative so the Dstinguished Service Medal would give you +3 Bravery.

Crimson Heart – Wounded in Action (taken 50% health, rather just than being injured)

Military Cross – Kill five aliens on a single mission

Crux Solaris – Capture an alien leader alive

Saviour Medal - Kill an alien psion mind-controlling a friendly unit

Citation for Courage – Survive a victorious terror mission, spending at least 100AP

Citation for Bravery – Survive a victorious base defence mission, spending at least 100AP

Service Medal – Survive 10 missions, spending at least 100AP each time (+1)

Long Service Medal – Survive 20 missions, spending at least 100AP each time (+2)

Distinguished Service Medal – Survive 30 missions, spending at least 100AP each time (+3)

I think that gives a decent mix of hard to get one-off medals, and those that will be achieved in time. A good soldier who has been around for say 15 missions should probably have about 5 medals on that list, I reckon.

Since we don't get anything for the Crimson Heart, why not make the requirement any injury cause by friend or foe, which excludes environment damage?

The Military Cross seems to be harder than the Order of Gallantry.

The Crux Solaris also seems like it would be harder and more praise worth than killing 10 aliens over an arbitrary time limit.

The Saviour Medal seems like something more praise worthy than the current Order medals. I also think the name can be better, but nothing comes to mind. Better named medals don't actually say what they're for. The final three Medals need better names, too.

I would take those three and make them the Order medals. The Saviour Medal would be +1, while the Crux Solaris and Military Cross are second or third depending on which is actually harder. In this system, since there is no fixed order, except probable difficulty, it would be worth showing all three simultaneously once achieved.

If it's cumulative, when we reach the Distinguished Service Medal we should have 5 more bravery, rather than 3, shouldn't we?

Edited by Bibidibop

What are you talking about bibidibop?:confused: All the medals are supposed to give a bonus to bravery. It's just that Chris has only marked out the bonus for the medals that has more then 1 progression level to them.

Why would you award a medal for reciving friendly fire? I don't get that one?

The medals beeing cumulative means we get +3 when we have all three "order" medals. We get +1 for each (but they replace each other so we lose the + 1 from gallantry and get the +2 from Merit instead, same thing when we get distinguished we lose the +2 from long service and get + 3 from the distinguished service medal.)

PS. 1+2+3 = 6 for me. How did you get + 5 bravery for distinguished service medal? DS.

Edited by Gorlom

Chiming in for the "keep medals rare" team, I'd much rather have only three out of twenty of my troops have meaningful medals instead of having sixteen out of twenty being pinned full of freebies. Realistic or not doesn't enter into it for me, it's a design thing. If it's something where you go "I better do (x) to earn that medal", that would completely take me out of the game - the "Sole Survivor" one hits it on the head for medals done right in my opinion, a reminder of a dramatic experience. I haven't read all 10 pages but I could see a long-service campaign medal for attending many missions as well.

Edited by Beagle