Matthew, (y)our new QA guy!

I've been spectacularly lazy at checking the bug reporting forum this week, as I have barely looked at it at all. However, this is not a problem as bugtesting is no longer my responsibility. This makes me a very happy man.

Matthew has joined the team on a part-time basis. He works full time as QA and testing staff at a AAA game studio and now works for us in the evenings, and essentially he will have three roles on the project:

1) To internally verify the features our programmers are implenting to ensure they work properly before we release them.

2) The playtest the public builds of the game before we release them to the public.

3) To monitor the bug reporting forums and maintain our internal bugtracker.

He's been around for about a week now, and has been checking the forums and the existing records on our bugtracker since then. He's not been commenting on the threads because he's still been getting used to the way we work, but he's now ready to formally take over the reins and that section of the forums.

This is a very good thing for the project for a number of reasons. Firstly, your bugs are likely to get fixed quicker and they should certainly all get captured now there is a dedicated person looking after them. Secondly, the public builds should be a lot more stable. After spending hours putting together a build for release, the last thing you want to do is sit down and play it for a couple of hours - so I didn't, I just tested the biggest things. Thirdly, I now have more time to do other things (of which there are plenty, believe me).

Therefore I'd like to welcome Matthew to the forums, and ask you give him all the help he needs to do his job. I'm sure you'll be seeing plenty of him in the next few months!

Hello Guys, I'm Matthew. First, I would like to thank you for the bug reports on the forums, it really help us a lot.

I hope you will keep up providing me with your findings, to bring the final release closer, and make our work smoother. I will keep up the communication with you on the forums, asking for more information about some bugs.

I'm also a great X-Com fan, and I have more than hundreds of hours of gameplay, and as I think this game will be better :).

See you Guys on the forums, Thanks.

Yes, it definitely is a great idea to free up Chris to do other things.

As a (hack) mod maker myself, I am always impressed to see how well Chris multi-tasks. The forums alone must suck up a lot of his free time.

Welcome Matthew. Is working Q&A as mind numbingly boring as it sounds? I always wondered.

Welcome Matthew.

It's definitely a good thing to have things a bit more compartmentalized. Tracking down, testing and re-testing issues can take a lot of time, and I think there's a tendency to overlook this aspect.

The game has come along very well since I started following the project, and I hope that things will move a bit easier for everyone involved.

Welcome Matthew!

From what I hear the indigenous tribes of South America have a nice way of preparing bugs, which are considered as delicasies. But I am afraid that the kind bugs you will encounter won't be as tasty, but I digress. As they say in Starship Troopers: "Only good bug is a dead bug."

Edited by DamZe

Thank you for the welcomes :).

Many of you asked about QA testing, and yes it can be boring most of the time, but I like playing games so I get along well :). Many of the people think I have to play all day, no risk and stuff, but it's definitely not true. You have to memorize many game elements, you have to know what is a bug and what is a feature, also you have to know the design, to give detailed information to the coders about a bug. I could write a wikipedia long arclite about it, but luckily someone already did it so, if anyone is interested ( :D ) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing

Thank you for the welcomes :).

Many of you asked about QA testing, and yes it can be boring most of the time, but I like playing games so I get along well :). Many of the people think I have to play all day, no risk and stuff, but it's definitely not true. You have to memorize many game elements, you have to know what is a bug and what is a feature, also you have to know the design, to give detailed information to the coders about a bug. I could write a wikipedia long arclite about it, but luckily someone already did it so, if anyone is interested ( :D ) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing

Okay okay okay, I know this is off topic but you need an avatar. Other wise you look, not as professional as the others ;)