How to download Xenonauts without using Desura!

Chris

From our point of view the Desura client is the best way for you to download the game as it is where the most up-to-date versions of the game are, and it allows you to autoupdate the game without downloading the entire thing every time. Therefore, if possible, it's best to download the Desura client and use that if you can.

However, not all of you can do this for a variety of reasons, and some of you plain do not want to. With that in mind, the Desura guys have agreed to add a standalone download of the game (in zip form) that can be downloaded as long as you've purchased Xenonauts and have logged into Desura.

This is how to do it:

1) Make sure you've bought Xenonauts on Desura.

2) Log into the Desura site.

3) Visit http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts/download

4) Download the game.

5) Unzip the exe to any directory, and run Xenonauts.exe.

As mentioned above, this is not the optimal way to download the game. Updates will reach this branch more slowly as its not our main focus and it's a pain in the ass to upload 500mb of files every time we make 2mb of changes, but they will reach it.

My thanks go to Scott from Desura for making this happen, as they certainly didn't have to do it but were happy to help us out nonetheless.

Thank you for such a concern for buyers!

But I would prefer to receive updates quickly through Desura.

This is due to the fact that the game really is still in early alpha version.

Therefore I would like to receive updates faster. But after the release, I would appreciate the developers if they give an opportunity to tie this great game for the steam

Thank you for such a concern for buyers!

But I would prefer to receive updates quickly through Desura.

This is due to the fact that the game really is still in early alpha version.

Therefore I would like to receive updates faster. But after the release, I would appreciate the developers if they give an opportunity to tie this great game for the steam

IIRC, you get to choose between a Steam key and a Desura key once the game gets to that point.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I wonder if anybody could clarify something regarding this? When I came to purchase Xenonauts the other week, the installation through Desura seemed to hang so I closed the client and rebooted it. Then I noticed the zip file download and clicked on that (I thought it might have only become available after purchasing the game) I think that's the version I installed, and if that's the case it sounds like I'm going to be delayed when it comes to receiving updates, which is annoying.

However, my Xenonauts game is listed in my Desura client, and even if I try to boot the game up via the Xenonauts shortcut, it asks me to log into Desura, so does that sound as if I actually am running the game fully within the Desura client?

Thanks in advance.

If you have to log into desura to run it then desura should also update it for you.

Sounds like you are using the desura version to me.

You could always just run desura and tell it to do a file check by right clicking the xenonauts link in the play section.

That should add in any files you might be missing after the cancelled install.

I bought this through Desura but would prefer to use Steam later for updates, etc. I don't really care to keep two such accounts and Steam works OK for me. Will it be possible to "transfer" my Xenonauts updates to Steam and close this Desura account at some point?

If we get accepted onto Steam, then this will be possible. I can't see that there's any reason why we won't be, but it's not been confirmed yet so I can't guarantee it.

• 1 month later...

I tried the stand alone zip in the hope that it was the Desura launcher causing the game to crash all of the time, but alas I only got around 2 minutes into the game before it bombed, were as I can get up to 10 minutes game time launching through Desura.

Sounds like you are having a lot of trouble Moonie.

Is it one of the reported bugs causing your crash issues?

I have a few lock ups, but for the most times it's a .exe bomb. I am bit fed up as I have only once managed to actually play a full scenario before the bomb. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Oh hooray for this. I heard of v9.2 and thought "ooh, I should check that out." Then Desura decided it would download at dial-up speeds no matter how much I poked it. I can do a gig in under 10 minutes, and Desura was telling me I'd have to wait ab hour plus. Ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...