Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to download Xenonauts without using Desura!

Hybrid View

How to download Xenonauts without using Desura!

From our point of view the Desura client is the best way for you to download the game as it is where the most up-to-date versions of the game are, and it allows you to autoupdate the game without downloading the entire thing every time. Therefore, if possible, it's best to download the Desura client and use that if you can.

However, not all of you can do this for a variety of reasons, and some of you plain do not want to. With that in mind, the Desura guys have agreed to add a standalone download of the game (in zip form) that can be downloaded as long as you've purchased Xenonauts and have logged into Desura.

This is how to do it:
    1) Make sure you've bought Xenonauts on Desura.
    2) Log into the Desura site.
    3) Visit http://www.desura.com/games/xenonauts/download
    4) Download the game.
    5) Unzip the exe to any directory, and run Xenonauts.exe.

As mentioned above, this is not the optimal way to download the game. Updates will reach this branch more slowly as its not our main focus and it's a pain in the ass to upload 500mb of files every time we make 2mb of changes, but they will reach it.

My thanks go to Scott from Desura for making this happen, as they certainly didn't have to do it but were happy to help us out nonetheless.
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Rookie
    thank you, it is nice to have option to install the game without Desura client

Quote Originally Posted by gozer View Post
    thank you, it is nice to have option to install the game without Desura client
    +1

awesome i will get home and uninstall the client!!! causing a lot of crashes :S

thanks

Thank you for such a concern for buyers!
    But I would prefer to receive updates quickly through Desura.
    This is due to the fact that the game really is still in early alpha version.
    Therefore I would like to receive updates faster. But after the release, I would appreciate the developers if they give an opportunity to tie this great game for the steam

Quote Originally Posted by resonansER View Post
    Therefore I would like to receive updates faster. But after the release, I would appreciate the developers if they give an opportunity to tie this great game for the steam
    IIRC, you get to choose between a Steam key and a Desura key once the game gets to that point.

I can See the need for a standalone version late on in Xenonauts life but at the moment Desura is so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by resonansER View Post
    well i pre ordered but it doesnt show up in desura, so i have to download off the site

and when i try to install on the desura client, it wants me to buy it AGAIN
    Last edited by Malachai13; 08-28-2012 at 04:03.

Well.. hes not removeing the desura update option hes just adding a download that doesnt need desura client installed... right?