Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weapon AP Costs

It makes sense to me. "Aimed shot" means you're taking a second or two to line up the shot, while with the others you're just whipping off fire at the alien as soon as you see it.

Callsign: Action Machismo Assoonasitis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    I'm so not satisfied with that explanation.
    Then no explanation will satisfy you.

Let's assume that a turn takes 6 seconds (D&D standard I use for combat) to move all of your soldiers and have them all shoot. There is no time for aiming. You see a bug-eye coming at you from out of the darkness and you point your gun and pull the trigger. How much aiming was involved in that? Almost none. And you have no way of improving your ability to point a gun in the general direction, because you're already a trained soldier. Saying "I'm not so satisfied" doesn't change the fact that most shots in these games aren't aimed except in the broadest sense of the term: pointing in the general direction of.

Would target identification have any impact on how quickly you squeeze of a shot? I mean you have to identify that its an actual alien and not a civvie. Although i guess that would suggest that every shot after the initial one should be cheaper.

Yeah you might ahve noticed that I knew I wasnt going to win an argument about this, that's why I just posted that I wasn't satisfied with that explanation.

How does one snapshot an alien outside of your visual range? We have that ingame already that you can shoot at aliens spotted by other soldiers. Oh god look at what you've reduced me to? I'm argueing that since there are some other gamemechanics breaking the immersion/realism I get to have the other mechanic I want to remain in the game... I want to kick myself. But I will still not be satisfied with that explanation!

PS. Yes I'm being childish! don't remove my toy! DS.

Callsign: Action Machismo Assoonasitis's Avatar
    Petulance!

But really, I understand where you're coming from. And you can still take a snap shot in a direction if your squad-mate is yelling that there's some squid-faced seven-foot beast at his ten. Or you just fire in the general direction the shots are going in.

Feels like the shots are a bit more accurate then that ingame though.

PS. I should use more smileys.. but I hope I'm manageing to convey a slightly less heated tone even without them. DS.
    Last edited by Gorlom; 01-23-2012 at 23:22.

Ingame shots do tend to spread far less than squad fire does in X-COM, but I think that's actually a problem which needs to be addressed.

Elected Chryssalid Hugger anotherdevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTuninator View Post
    Ingame shots do tend to spread far less than squad fire does in X-COM, but I think that's actually a problem which needs to be addressed.
    That's because Chris wanted them to actually be realistic misses, rather than shooting at an alien in one direction but the shots going out 90 degrees away =p

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
    A gun can only be fired so often mechanically, but is the time taken to acctually aim that wepon before fireing taken into account then? Woudln't one be able to shed some of his aiming time off with experience?

Edit: or are we assuming the soldiers are stepping right out of Counterstrike and are using aimbot?
    I like to think of it this way. Some times aiming will only take a second, the target is still and in the open. But sometimes it takes a lot longer, the target is moving, behind cover, crouched, weaving, etc. (obviously real world examples, but still slightly applicable). What we have though is a system that averages the amount of time you would use to aim shots. It doesn't for instance cost more to shoot at an alien who presents a smaller target, because then no one would ever be able to reserve enough AP properly. That's how I explain that to myself =]
    "What are you gonna do, talk the alien to death?"
    - James Cameron, on Sigourney Weaver's concern about the use of guns in Aliens

Oh, that was a conscious design decision? I hope that can be modded, then; I liked the ridiculous misses X-COM threw out from time to time. :P

They are fine for a laugh but not so great when you are relying on the bullet going in the rough direction of your target

As I mentioned you could have training or extended use reduce the percentage used by your shots a little, on a soldier by soldier basis, to reflect the idea that they are much more familiar with the weapon and can use it that little more efficiently.
    By extended use I am referring to my own suggestion of weapon proficiency medals for several kills with a specific weapon.
    Physical training would allow them to move around more without drastically reducing their number of shots per turn.

Also Gorlom remember you are technically already winning this discussion (can you win a discussion?) as the system currently used is the one you prefer anyway!
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gauddlike View Post
    Also Gorlom remember you are technically already winning this discussion (can you win a discussion?) as the system currently used is the one you prefer anyway!
    Yay!