V19 Stable Available!

Am I the only one waiting with baited breath for even the slightest vague comment about the abduction mission thread feedback? ^^

Me too; I'd like to see what they say about my stun pistol idea.

Here that is, in case people missed it:

Here's a revision of my original Alien Stun Pistol idea.

So, aliens have a weapon called the Alien Stun Pistol in the Abduction Missions, and only a few aliens carry them. (Maybe non-combatants get the task of stunning people? After all, they have the correct pistol sprites already).

Alien Stun Pistol Details

• Uses Alien Plasma Pistol sprite set

• Fires purple projectiles (recolor the alien plasma pistol projectiles)

• Looks like an alien plasma pistol with changes in markings (in Xenopedia and inventory)

• Short range

• Single shot (all three levels?) and 3 shot burst

• Takes normal alien plasma clips (though aliens don't use ammunition, so almost a moot point)

So, you play an Abduction mission, and you win. You retrieve an alien stun pistol, you research it, it (basically) says that "the device uses non-lethal plasma that carries an electric charge. How it manages to do so is unknown, but perhaps once we understand plasma technology better we will be able to understand the weapon more fully."

Later, you research and unlock plasma technology (and plasma weapons for you to manufacture). You get a research, "Improved Stun Weapon".

Once you research it, the "Stun Pistol" is available for manufacturing. The description (basically) says,

"We now know how to make "stun plasma"; a low-energy, and therefore non-lethal, bolt of plasma that carries an immense electrical charge, perfectly suited for stunning organic lifeforms or dealing electrical damage to artificial. Unfortunately, stun plasma only carries its charge for a relatively short distance; a few meters, at most. Because of this, it cannot be used in any sort of long range engagements.
Utilizing this new discovery, we have designed an improved version of our Stun Rod. The aptly named "Improved Stun Rod", upon contact with a target, imparts a massive dose of stun plasma. It is much more powerful than our simple battery-based Stun Rods.
We have also designed a modified plasma pistol that fires this stun plasma. This will allow one to stun an enemy at range, albeit a very short one. Because the plasma has to travel through air, the stun effect of the newly designated "Stun Pistol" is somewhat less than that of the Improved Stun Rod. However, perhaps being farther away from a hostile extraterrestrial will be worth the lessened effect.
Irrespective of which you find most useful, both are now available for immediate manufacture."

Stun Pistol Details

• Uses regular (human) plasma pistol sprites

• Fires a purple projectile (recolor the normal plasma pistol projectile)

• Looks like a human plasma pistol with changes in markings (for Xenopedia and inventory images)

• Takes normal plasma ammunition.

• Has a smallish ammo count (six or more)

• Deals better damage than the original stun rod

• Super close range, can only fire when right next to, one, or two tiles away (so there's still good risk in stunning something)

• Has single shot (all three levels?) and a 3 shot burst

• Not free; requires manufacturing just like all other plasma weapons

Improved Stun Rod Details

• Uses standard Stun Rod sprites

• Looks like a Stun Rod (so it can use the same sprites) with a slot for a plasma cell (for reloading) and some sort of hole, vent, or aperture for spraying the stun plasma itself at the target (probably at the end, I would assume)

• I can't remember if there's a flash, or effect, or anything of the sort when hitting an enemy with a stun rod, but if there is, make it purple

• Takes normal plasma cell ammunition

• Has limited uses; 4 hits, maybe, because of the high damage output?

• Stuns really well (deals electricity damage too, so, stuns people really well and damages robots)

• Like the Stun Rod, it's a melee-only weapon (but if you get that close to the andron, it's gonna die soon)

Feel free to suggest better names, I just picked ones that got the point across. ;)

Anyway, this would give us improved stun weapons (showing we are improving all of our stuff, not just main battle weapons), it would give us more (technically optional) research to do so we can get our funding's worth out of our scientists, and it would add some nice flavor to the aliens in that they do, in fact, have a stun weapon that they use for abduction missions.

I think it'd be fun. :)

What about you all?

So, yeah. Some aliens carry a short range stun plasma pistol in the abduction missions (since they would need something to stun people, right?). We research it, and it says we don't understand it. Once we research our own plasma weapons, we get an "improved stun weapon" research, after which we get a short range stun plasma pistol that deals stun and EMP damage, and we get improved stun batons that deal super high stun and EMP damage.

Should be great for taking out androns, if you want to get close range with them. It'd be especially difficult since they can't be suppressed. ;)

I'm more interested in what Aaron has to say about suitable rewards and exactly how often that mission type will appear. if it will be too frequent for some of the rewards (like the special weapon blueprints etc.)

But as I said.. ANY vague comment is good enough for me. It doesnt even have to be about the thread just some random rambeling that we get to decode into a secret treasure map for a treasure that might or might not exist.... anything to keep us busy.

Well, I would think it wouldn't be super common. I mean, how often are high profile scientists, leaders, or the like abducted? Probably about as often as a terror mission, or maybe a bit more? I dunno.

Screw the justification! think about it for what it is: a gamemechanic!

When I used to work in at Tesco, I was called out twice when a kiddie had followed through on its threat and held its breath until it collapsed. Don't make me come out there, Gorlom!

OH! I'll make you! *Holds breath!*

Edit: *exhales* ... seems Aaron has already responded :P

Miklegene - if you can provide a save file then please report the bug. It's probably not something we can fix for you (try loading the autosave from the start of the mission and try to avoid the crash?) but if we can reproduce the crash bug then we can fix it for future versions.

Okay, why not, here is save files:

http://nskvs.ru/assets/2013-10-06_23.13.06.sav

http://nskvs.ru/assets/2013-10-06_23.14.06.sav

Game crashes with when bullet hits aliens, but no all the time, approximately 1/2 chance.

Also I will try to start this battle from autosave but think this will not help me.

My hardware: Asus G55 (Core i7 3630QM, video GTX 660M) on Windows 8 and system works very stable.

Thanks a lot.

My favorite CTD bug is alien being shot at from high place. 75% CTD, and reloads do not help much.

Other bug is invisible alien vehicles after saved game reload.

Some alien vehicles are not targetable.

Cargo containers and some other places with flat tops are not marked as places to land a flying suit.

My highly beloved Scimitar have only 10 shots, (instead of stated 15) and even laser gun have explosive 'projectile', which is not always desirable.

Actually, it will be a lot better to have access to tank's inventory and reload ballistic gun with desired projectile, and co-axial MG with desired, pre-packed ammo belts (like 1 AP, 2 FRAG, 1 tracer/incendiary, repeat). New ballistic projectiles are subject to research, but tank itself must be available almost from the start, after tech named like 'Advanced human weapons'. Hunter's missiles might be upgradeable like RPG missiles too.

New technologies with #### name are fun to research too.

putting empty weapon in the backpack and save/load - weapon will be reloaded

RPG, empty or not, will be reloaded with default grenade

it's impossible to use medpack behind the wall, since every wall section is a valid target.

... to be continued ...

Edited by WildLynx

We've passed your save files to the tester so if he can reproduce the bug hopefully it'll be fixed in the next version which is due at the end of next week.

However the save games from V19 Stable are very unlikely to work in the next version of the game, so unfortunately it won't help your current situation much. You'll either need to load an earlier save or start a new game, I'm afraid.

We've passed your save files to the tester so if he can reproduce the bug hopefully it'll be fixed in the next version which is due at the end of next week.

However the save games from V19 Stable are very unlikely to work in the next version of the game, so unfortunately it won't help your current situation much. You'll either need to load an earlier save or start a new game, I'm afraid.

any idea for a release date?....some of these bugs are quite serious , i thought the game would be much more finished by now, are we looking for a past Christmas release?