V19 Stable Candidate 2 available!

Evilbookworm - bear in mind there are two branches. V19 Stable is going to break all old save games but will be released later this week ideally. Once that is out you'll have full access to it for at least another couple of months. The experimental builds break save games regularly, but you have to opt into those updates to receive them.

Ive looked up the specs of actual ballistic shields, and the ones rated to stop rifle rounds are actually pretty heavy but often are also wheeled. For reference the lightest high armour 'tower' shield I saw was ~85, but most others were atleast 100lbs- though wheels and the requisite frames are included in that. The less armoured ones vary from about 8 to 15lbs and are arm carried.

So realistically 3lbs is way to low, but Id prefer its weight determined by balance and not realism.

I agree with you for a shield that stop bullets, but this one stops plasma bursts. If XCom has plasma resistant aircraft, then it follows that the shield could be very light because if it wasn't it's highly unlikely that a plasma resistant aircraft would be light enough to get off the ground.

So, I'm new here and have a question:

I get that I can download this stable build optionally, but when does something like this become an official update on Steam without doing this?

I just bought this game the other day after I learned about it for the first time, and downloaded like you normally would, and the version is v18. When would Steam recognize this v19 as the "normal" version and auto-update accordingly?

Once it's released at the end of the week. The current version we're talking about the release candidate 2. So there will likely be some incremental patches until the devs decide to cut the "official" version 19 release.

After they do that, the main game will update to version 19, and the devs will start beta 20

What the hell is LBS? we talking in KG here dudes!

Anyway the Shield in game is a HEAVY METAL shield not some plastic or teflon riot shield you see the police use. It is custom build for xcom hence its gonna be heavy. However 20KG is a bit much, was thinking 10KG for the metal one and 5KG for the alien alloy one (or 3KG I dunno). Also using a shield means you only have 1 hand free so you can't wield a rifle, however I do keep a shotgun handy in backpack.

Additionally you should be training a soldier in strength to be special purpose shield bearer rather then expecting everyone to be shielded up at start!

Once it's released at the end of the week. The current version we're talking about the release candidate 2. So there will likely be some incremental patches until the devs decide to cut the "official" version 19 release.

After they do that, the main game will update to version 19, and the devs will start beta 20

Thanks!

What the hell is LBS? we talking in KG here dudes!

Anyway the Shield in game is a HEAVY METAL shield not some plastic or teflon riot shield you see the police use. It is custom build for xcom hence its gonna be heavy. However 20KG is a bit much, was thinking 10KG for the metal one and 5KG for the alien alloy one (or 3KG I dunno). Also using a shield means you only have 1 hand free so you can't wield a rifle, however I do keep a shotgun handy in backpack.

Additionally you should be training a soldier in strength to be special purpose shield bearer rather then expecting everyone to be shielded up at start!

I could live with 10 kilos at the heaviest. We're going to see if it's imbalanced, though. If it's not, then I don't think we should change it.

Could you ad in a feature to disable and enable the vertical take off of Soldiers because they fly into the air for the slightest distance resulting in them getting shot. In EU you could tell them to go into air at will and the system for them was smart without getting your guys killed.

Aliens reaction-firing at airborne soldiers is a known bug.

20 kg was ok for me. Strenght increases on every fight so I got 99 strenght soldiers in no time. 3 kg is unbalanced and unrealistic for me (espacialy for metal one).

Strength was levelling quicker than it should have been, though: now it increases by 1 per fight, not 2. But anyway, equipment should be useable by rookies without reducing them to a pistol, a shield and a bit of spare ammo.

There's always the stable version (when it's released). I'm tempted to opt out of the experimental builds for a bit once that it out with a view to playing through the second half of the game (since the furthest I've got before bugs/new builds is ~mid December).

I'm fairly sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) that they only update the stable version when they release a new stable version (which I doubt will be for months after the new one they're bringing out). So if you play with the stable version, it shouldn't be an issue (again, once they update to v19 Stable).

Yeah, so if you don't want your save games broken you can just use the Stable branch until you feel happy trying the new experimental builds again. The intention wasn't really that people would play literally every experimental build we make, although it seems some are trying to do that :)

In any case, once V19 Stable is released there'll be another 2-3 week period before the V20 Experimental builds start to appear (releases are closer together towards the end of the cycle).

In any case, once V19 Stable is released there'll be another 2-3 week period before the V20 Experimental builds start to appear (releases are closer together towards the end of the cycle).

good to hear that! so i can start new game and report new bugs for v19 SC2. Hope 2-3 weeks will be enought to pass through whole game process