Here's a weird question! How many of you name a soldier after yourself?

Yes. It's cheesy as hell but I like making a character that represents myself and a couple of friends: Helps raise the stakes in missions, when you only have your "real" friends left and someone has to go into the UFO and kill the last alien.

I haven't started naming soldiers yet because we aren't able to save (unless we are, in which case joke's on me) but when I do, I will probably follow my traditional naming convention of character names from my favorite TV shows, so mainly Buffy, Angel, and Community characters until I run out of male names and have to look elsewhere.

Spooky Mulder will, naturally, be the leader.

I stick with the original names unless one of them really grates on me.

I have occasionally named them after friends but the character of the little pixel pile is gone when you alter its name.

It is an immersion thing for me though, I am not thinking about trying to keep a game character alive just so my friends name doesn't get killed off.

I tend to just give nicknames on units that reach Sargeant or stand out for various reasons.. Gives the important guys some more personality, especially since the names are always based either on their Actual name, or on a defining moment for them (IE Dipshit McGee in X-Com, who managed to kill 4 guys with a badly aimed cannon shot, and for the next 10 missions untill his death managed to accidentially kill at least one rookie each outing.)

I always change the names of my troops. And yes, that includes a virtual avatar of myself. Problem is, I always tend to bite the bullet in the first mission. I think XCOM is trying to tell me something. :D

I haven't renamed them yet in Xenonauts. Once the full beta rolls on, I'll do it though. Let's see if my dying streak lasts.

I always change the names of my troops. And yes, that includes a virtual avatar of myself. Problem is, I always tend to bite the bullet in the first mission. I think XCOM is trying to tell me something. :D

I hear you, not only do i rename one for myself but i try to use my whole family!!!!

And yes it always seems the game has telepathic powers since it hunts me down and my guy usually get killed with in the first 3 missions while the rest survives :'(

in the original i always name my best man after my dad, since he was in the SAS. I then name other 'good-statted' men things like Ace Rimmer/names from the old spectrum game rebelstar (Leon Trotsky/Slarty Bartfast/Eric etc.).

Remember Eric? The little green man with the powerful Photon ;-).