I've stopped on five pellets and reducing damage to 15.

For the base shotgun most of the time that's enough to kill any non-combatant with one shot upclose, and even sebillian guards can be shredded to pieces with couple of shots.

If you will be able to get so close, that is.

Edited by a333

How do you mod the damage each one does? I wasn't able to figure out what determines the damage per pellet...

EDIT:

Nevermind, it was right in front of me.

<Ammos>		<Ammo name="ammo.ballistic.shotgun" type="kinetic" [b]damage="20"[/b] mitigation="0">			<Projectile spectre="projectiles/bullet/bullet" speed="1200"/>			<Impact spectre="particles/bulletplume/bulletplume"/>		</Ammo>	</Ammos>
Edited by Ishantil

I'd prefer more than 3 pellets, even if each pellet had it's damage turned down. It'd look cooler, and offer more incentive to be really close to avoid spraying on either side of the target.

It is cool enough to bring at least one shotgun with you even after sebillians. And that feeling when you shoot someone from the distance and random generator smiles to you and all pellets are flying in a tight spread...mmm.

Now if only Chris would say something about moving pellets count to ammo parameters it would be wonderful.

It is cool enough to bring at least one shotgun with you even after sebillians. And that feeling when you shoot someone from the distance and random generator smiles to you and all pellets are flying in a tight spread...mmm.

Now if only Chris would say something about moving pellets count to ammo parameters it would be wonderful.

They seem to do a lot more damage at close range than an AR based on my UFO clearing ops. One shot kills on Ceasan blue shirts. My shotgun guy took out two blue shirts and wounded two more in one op.

They seem to do a lot more damage at close range than an AR based on my UFO clearing ops. One shot kills on Ceasan blue shirts. My shotgun guy took out two blue shirts and wounded two more in one op.

Do you use unmodified three-pellet?

Do you use unmodified three-pellet?
Yep. But he was INSIDE a UFO. They really seem to hurt at room clearing ranges. Outside, I'm usually just wounding. Also, my shotgunner is a pretty good marksman, 65 accuracy. He was one shotting blue shirts at 1 - 4 tiles.They're way better than the old version in all situations IMO.

a333 - hmmm, moving that logic to the ammunition would mean we'd need to set separate shot / ammo consumption values for burst and single fire in the ammo, as well as setting accuracy and TU consumption for the weapon for single and burst fire separately. I think it might make the XML a bit convoluted, no?

we'd need to set separate shot / ammo consumption values for burst and single fire in the ammo

Why so? just multiply count of bullets generated by ammunition by the count of shots in the burst fire, which you already have.

as well as setting accuracy and TU consumption for the weapon for single and burst fire separately.

Once again, you've already done that:

<Weapon name="weapon.laserrifle" bulletType="normal" emptySound="Empty Click 1">	<props range="20" hands="2" recoil="0" weight="6" isHeavy="0" clipSize="9" reloadAPCost="30" reloadSound="Weapon Laser Rifle Reload" reactionModifier="1" hpLimit="80"/>	<SingleShot sound="Weapon Laser Rifle Single" delay="1" suppressionValue="20" suppressionRadius="3">		<Set1 ap="20" accuracy="40" />		<Set2 ap="30" accuracy="90" />		<Set3 ap="40" accuracy="120" />	</SingleShot>	<BurstFire ap="40" accuracy="30" sound="Weapon Laser Rifle Burst" shotCount="3" delay="1" burstdelay="0.1" suppressionValue="40" suppressionRadius="3" />	<GUIImage name="gui/weapons/LaserRifle.png"/>	<GroundImage name="grounditemimages/assault_rifle.png"/>	<Ammos>		<Ammo name="ammo.laser.lasercell" type="energy" damage="45" mitigation="15">			<Projectile spectre="projectiles/laser/laser" speed="2000"/>			<Impact spectre="particles/laserexplode/laserexplode"/>		</Ammo>	</Ammos></Weapon>

Burst and single have separated accuracy/tu costs

I just wanted the ammo element to have additional parameter "projectileCount":

<Ammos><Ammo name="ammo.laser.lasercell" type="energy" damage="45" mitigation="15" projectileCount="3">...</Ammos>

And you can take accuracy and tu's from the fire mode presets.

Single shot will fire 1xpelletCount projectiles, burst shot will fire shotCountxpelletCount projectiles, where first is the parameter of fire mode (e.g. 3 on assaul rifle burst, 5 on machinegun burst), and second is the parameter of ammo (1 for slug, 3-5-whatever for buckshot).

Single shot will consume 1 shell, while burst shot will consume shotCount.

I believe you've already have all the needed mechanics implemented, since you can fire 3 projectiles from a shotgun but it consumes only 1 shell. So you as well can take this number (3) from an ammo parameters, not from the fire mode where is it now.

In fact, having this structure:

<singleShot shotCount="3">

is confusing too.

I'm not sure having the additional "pelletcount" as well as "shotcount" makes things more intuitive necessarily, but what you've suggested could work. Probably a better idea is having a singleshotcount and a burstshotcount tag.

Either way, it could be done. It's not that high on our list of priorities at the moment though if I'm honest.