Ground Combat Balance Discussion v19 Experimental Build 7

Aaron

Those were IN? Mehhhhh, want them back.

It'd be a great way to diversify aliens too. Caesan and Sebillian noncoms, and reapears could be very vulnerable to incendiaries.

Armored Caesans and Sebillians could take reduced dmg from flames (since they're wearing anti-thermal armor anyway), switching those weapons to an area-denail role against them.

Androns and Droids could be completely immune to fire.

It's simple (probably not to code) and would be a fun addition to the game.

Going further, certain aliens and ranks could be more or less resistant to explosives. That would be another cool dynamic.

Also wouldn't mind seeing aliens in the late-game co-opt human technology, such as smoke grenades, shields, gas/poison gas, and perhaps rocket launchers to replace plasma disruptors(or w/e their hvy weapon is called, since lore-wise the xenonaut method of detonating the plasma at the point of impact rather than having it open to the air as it travels= superior). You get the idea.

Right now, it feels as though the aliens fight more clinically, while humans fight dirtier. As the scale starts to tilt in the Xenonaut's favor technologically, it would be cool to see that dynamic change.

Those were IN? Mehhhhh, want them back.

It'd be a great way to diversify aliens too. Caesan and Sebillian noncoms, and reapears could be very vulnerable to incendiaries.

Armored Caesans and Sebillians could take reduced dmg from flames (since they're wearing anti-thermal armor anyway), switching those weapons to an area-denail role against them.

Androns and Droids could be completely immune to fire.

It's simple (probably not to code) and would be a fun addition to the game.

Yeah, they were in. The fire model seems to work fine to me. I don't understand why we can't have them back. I don't think they would unbalance the game in anyway. GH can easily reduce the fire/chance area if they are OP. As far as poison gas, I'm not so sure that wouldn't be OP in any implementation. I suppose it wouldn't work against Androns, Harraidans and other mechs. It might be OK as very high level weapon. Chris did mention the aliens might have poison gas eventually, (yikes).

I want that and the incendiary rocket back. Why did Goldhawk take that round away? I never saw an explanation.

Might be wrong, but the frame-rate issues with fire on night missions might have been to blame. That said, 19.7 seems to have solved that (it's not been nearly as bad), so maybe there'd be room to put them back in.

I do like the idea of persistent-area effect weapons; it'd be a nice addition to smoke grenades as a way of denying parts of the combat zone.

Might be wrong, but the frame-rate issues with fire on night missions might have been to blame. That said, 19.7 seems to have solved that (it's not been nearly as bad), so maybe there'd be room to put them back in.

I do like the idea of persistent-area effect weapons; it'd be a nice addition to smoke grenades as a way of denying parts of the combat zone.

They are really important inside bases where the aliens tend to try to come in from all directions. We don't have the proximity grenade like OG, but something that could block a hallway is still pretty important, be it fire, poison, etc...

or a sentry gun!

sentrygun.jpg

I love the Sentry gun. If you ever get a chance to watch the director's cut of Aliens you'll see a lot more "stuff". Tell you one thing, when I went to see that in the theater I was holding on to my arm rest. When they first enter the colony through the big door and start moving down the hallway, you could hear a pin drop in the theater. It was better than the first one, IMO.

Smoke from smoke grenades blocks line of sight for tiles behind the smoke tile. So if you have one tile of smoke and an alien is stood in it then you can see the alien (or if they are stood in the smoke tile on the edge of a big cloud of smoke), but if they are behind a smoke tile in relation to your character you can't see them. There was an oversight with this change where, though smoke block line of sight it still only reduced accuracy by 30% - which didn't make great deal of sense and also allowed alien to reaction fire through the smoke; in the build I am putting out later today this will be fixed.

For alien grenades - and keep in mind we haven't even got them working yet so this is pure plan - we want the Sebillians to have poison smoke grenades that both block line of sight and hurt human units inside the smoke (Predator and Sentinel armour would protect you from this). I would also like to try giving Harridans incendiary grenades they can use to block areas and keep Xenonauts at arms length. I would like to get researchable incendiaries in for Xenonauts too, but unsure where to put them. Proximity mines are also on our wish list - again no guarantees - they may end up as their own thing or as an alternate mode for normal grenades.

Edited by Aaron

I like the alternate mode for regular grenades; it'd give me more of an incentive to prioritize frags. As it is, because they destroy equipment (which is good) they're not on my top list of important items. Flashbangs are quite nice (I've "cheated" and stunned sebillians and caesans before my time with them; skips some rather long research), although they don't have their radius thingy popping up so they're a little more difficult to use.

I second the question: Incendiary Rockets? What about Smoke Rockets? And will Armor Piercing Rockets make it back in? (Those were nice to fire straight through guys; quite satisfying.)

(significantly less serious)

Flashbang Rockets?

(Not serious at all)

How about Proximity Grenade Rockets?

(Don't add this)

What if we added the ability for rockets to turn in mid air, like the NIKITA missile in Metal Gear Solid? This way you could move the missile around obstacles and fly it directly into the UFO. That sounds perfectly balanced. ;)

Edited by GizmoGomez