V19 Experimental Build 7 available!

I disagree. It still has huge range compared to the other weapons. It's my goto weapon when the others have failed to stop someone.

Yeah, always have one or two snipers and they do their fair share of the lifting. I've found as well that a sniper-armed soldier functions as a good backup grenadier when needed since you can swap them to their pistol to leave the off-hand free. A lot of time sniper rifles and their users, in spite of the nerfs over the previous few builds.

The key to not being annoyed with the sniper rifle is to not trust the accuracy gauge; assume you'll hit a target behind one block of cover around half the time and it'll be less frustrating for you.

If anything, I'm thinking of not taking an LMG guy along, and taking another rifleman. That'd mean my squad would be two shieldbearers, three snipers and three rifles. I trade better suppression for the ability to take an accurate but low-to-medium damage shot when needed, which is something I really appreciate. With suppression being weaker this version with the sebillian and robot suppression changes, coupled with various bugs (cheating AI, inconsistent results when breaching), and the new ninja smoke bombs to play with, I'm not sure I want to bring a weapon that has suppression as its major feature.

That's not a problem with the LMG, though. I think that the sniper-AR-LMG balance is better than it's ever been since I started playing in, er, v17? or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one who was considering benching Mr. LMG. It seems like a geniune option, so mission accomplished on that front, I guess!

Edited by Ol' Stinky

If anything' date=' I'm thinking of not taking an LMG guy along, and taking another rifleman. [/quote']

I haven't been using shields because they have crashed my game and because they weigh so much my shield guys can't carry but a pistol and maybe couple grenades. My assault teams now are just rifle and shotgun guys with Jackal (or better) and grenades of various flavors plus a couple blocks of C4 (to blow the door.)

As far as the LMG, I'm still using them. With a good gunner they can do some serious damage. I had one put 3 out 5 rounds into a alien inside a UFO from about 15 tiles out the other night. That was instano death for that one. Still like 'um.

Edited by StellarRat

I haven't been using shields because they have crashed my game and because they weigh so much my shield guys can't carry but a pistol and maybe couple grenades. My assault teams now are just rifle and shotgun guys with Jackal (or better) and grenades of various flavors plus a couple blocks of C4 (to blow the door.)

As far as the LMG, I'm still using them. With a good gunner they can do some serious damage. I had one put 3 out 5 rounds into a alien inside a UFO from about 15 tiles out the other night. That was instano death for that one. Still like 'um.

Yeah, they can dish out the pain and then some. Right now, though, I'm leaning towards something more reliable, even if it doesn't put out nearly as much damage.

Yeah' date=' they can dish out the pain and then some. Right now, though, I'm leaning towards something more reliable, even if it doesn't put out nearly as much damage.[/quote']I think a great deal depends on your gunners accuracy rating. You want your best shots on the HW. The rifle and assault guys are going to spend a lot more time moving and in all likelihood will be much closer to enemy when they do fire.

I have to say, I was still impressed when the Sebillians started trying to blast through the walls of the barn to try and get to the ruckus my troops were causing with their friends. TOTALLY thought that was AI doing what the AI was supposed to do.

arent the building walls tiles destructible?..... i do remember original xcom me getting hits after they destroyed a wall......

Very nice update indeed. I've been playing this game for almost a year now and it's finally starting to surpass the original in complexity and overall glory. Two things I've been annoyed with lately though is:

1. If you have reserved AP when you go to equip a med-Pac, you cannot heal using all your AP. You have to equip your weapon again and then the med-Pac again to heal properly.

2. Flash bangs are still pretty useless. If I throw one in the face of a sebillian, he shouldn't be able to fire back.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

A few builds ago, I remember there being a accuracy problem with aliens being adjacent to cover made them damn near immortal, even if they were attacked from an unguarded side. Is that still an issue?

And unless I'm remembering incorrectly, but doesn't the Light Scout barely have 16 tiles in it? I thought it was 4x4. It seems a bit cramped to fit so many aliens into that space, although I don't mind for more aliens to kill for experience.

Ok, well it said 1 file failed to validate, however it was a 240byte file so I really can't see that causing all these completely random crashing. I try to replicate the crashing but it isn't always the same thing that triggers it, however atm I am in a alien base and it seems throwing too many grenades can cause issues. If problem persists I will purge my local copy and redownload it.