[UI] SteelSoldier Role Images

SteelSoldier

Also I have been experimenting doing the laser icons, by adding red triangles to 2 of the corners you will be able to distinguish lasers from standard equipment.

Laser Pistol.png

Here is an example.

This is what the whole set looks like so far:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6969/7i3v.png

Colored Version:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9821/bbd.png

Also does anyone know how to remove thumbnails if I have to, because I have 3 at the moment in the first post, but I want to remove them.

Well apparently I click the manage attachment button and it just tells me I dont have permission.

Laser Pistol.png

577e7cbcd1373_LaserPistol.png.740a8001c5

Edited by SteelSoldier

This is actually exactly what I was talking about. I really like the triangles differentiating what era of weapons, too.

Perhaps you could go with this:

White triangles for standard (ballistic) weaponry

Red triangles for lasers

Green triangles for plasma

Blue triangles for MAC.

Great work, SteelSoldier. These are awesome!

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose those colors?

The white for Ballistic is spot on, the red for Laser is also good looking, the green for Plasma is a tad minty, and the blue for MAG could be darker (similar to the MAG weapons themselves) though it's not bad by any stretch of the word.

I looked at the weapon images and the projectile images, and the Laser coloration looks very good. It matches the red of the laser projectile image.

Perhaps instead of a green for the plasma, it could be simply be a light blue (to match the glowing portions of the plasma weapons), and the MAG could have a darker blue to match the coloration of the weapons themselves?

This way each color (excepting white for ballistic, but that works really well so I wouldn't mess with it) would correspond directly to the weapon's coloration, either the weapon itself (plasma and MAG) or the projectile (laser, because there's nothing really distinctive about the weapons themselves, coloration wise).

Hello steelsoldier,

plasma is pain...

I noted human's habit with lasers symbolically being represented by red (eventhough the device is green laser). This is because human's first laser(s) was ruby rod based and makes red laser.

So applying this human first exposure with plasma, widespread visible use products; plasma ball or flouroscent tubes. There also is natural atmospheric phenomeons (st elmo ball, sprites, elf) [latter 2 is red].

I googled up plasma ball (easiest to see), I note with ball, there is combination of deep red, bright red and variations of blues/purple. Flouroscent from articles, relies on gas-electrical plasma discharge which is naturally ultraviolet, becoming dependent on the white coating to glow.

been experimenting on creating background variations, and most difficult background is plasma, taking hint from ball.

R

The reason I said green was because the shots in X-COM were green. :) And it makes it easy to distinguish from the blue of MAG. I've never actually gotten to those, so I have no idea what it looks like.

In any event, these are spectacular. Thanks for putting them together for us.

Ya I remember the green plasma shots from the original xcom, But I guess The bright blue also works to identify plasma, because of the plasma clip and the plasma shot from xenonauts.

Also remember to check the extras on the front page, they include shields with triangles representing the current pistol you are using with each respective color.

Edited by SteelSoldier