Is there going to be any melee attacks or knifes?

Nfire3

I tend to have my soliders go through cover and flank the aliens and those wire fences are a pain because they take alot of AP to destroy using guns and a waste of ammo using a rocket launcher, so I was wondering if you are going to implement a melee attack or a knife to destroy flimsy cover like fences.

I kind of hope that there aren't knives, it would take the futuristic and strategic feel out of it you can just go up and knife them :l

I DO like stun rods, because you can take them back for research, well, at least in the original X-COM you can. I hope you can in Xenonauts.

I suggested the following before, but it bears repeating. What if the empty hand automatically has a knife in melee attack? Expanding this, what if it automatically has wire cutters against fences? This way, there's no added micromanagement, and empty hands are suddenly useful.

The implications are, knives and wire cutters have their own pockets, always carried, and extremely easy to draw.

Wire cutters, yeah I can see that. But every soldier carries a knife, but it's more of a tool than a weapon. You you are carrying a rifle and run out of ammo in a close encounter, you ram the other guy in the face with the pipe of your gun, you don't draw a blade. His face will be a mess, and you can proceed to do whatever. Draw a sidearm for example. But bayonets were still used in the 70's I think. However I don't think the M-16 had a fixture for it.

If one has a hand empty.. I dunno. Personally I wouldn't run around with a knife. That only happens in modern war fps's. You could always pretend your soldier shank people :P The knife would hardly be visible on this scale anyways?

However I don't think the M-16 had a fixture for it.

It does but its not used very often. I've seen it in elite units like honour guards. The army and marines still train with bayonets. I never saw a use for them though. I figure if someone was that close to me then I was doing something wrong.

I think there should be no item for wire cutting, but i think the soldiers should have something to cut wires in their standard equipment. Perhaps it could be implemented, that a soldier can cut a wire fence by right clicking on it (for some action points). Or there could be some sort of tool button next to the weapon slots or a tool box as an item for equipping with more than one purpose.

It does but its not used very often. I've seen it in elite units like honour guards. The army and marines still train with bayonets. I never saw a use for them though. I figure if someone was that close to me then I was doing something wrong.

The last bayonet charge was by a British squad in roughly in 2003, in Iraq. They ran out of ammo against a superior force, and scared them enough with the charge that the enemy ran off.

If you can target the fence at melee range and attack you can damage or destroy it.

If you want to justify it by saying you kicked the fence down or used wire cutters it doesn't matter.

The important thing is that fences should be taken down fairly easily at melee range.

The down side is that you then need to ensure that aliens also know this and can take it into account when planning their movement.