Rank and Titles.

Right now, does any rank and title have any usefulness in the game ?

I guess not but i may be wrong.

Ramk could:

Improve post mission permanent stat boost.

Give temporary combat stat boost during combat whena lower rank is near (adjacent tile)a higher ranked.

IE if a simple soldier is near its seargeant (proximity to be tweaked) it gain some boost.

Not only because his sarge is a good guy, but because he receive direct orders and "know better" what to do.

Right now my team consist of a bunch of majors and one commander and it stroke me how i had no inclination to switch anyone to a rook at the possible cost of one of my elite...

i prefer to risk all my elites then to tag rookies along for "future damage mitigation".

Such switch already happens with wounds occurs, or even a death.

But if i did have a chain of command that boosted my lower buddies i would risk more.

I dont know, like the cool medal system, make the rank sistem usefull in some way.

In EU1994, TFTD, and Apoc Rank did grant the soldier some bonuses and having a highly ranked soldier on a mission granted the entire team a Morale boost, but it also meant huge morale loss if the ranking soldier was killed.

Currently in Xenonauts Rank doesn't grant bonuses, instead it is merely indicative of how skilled the soldier is. A lot of the players don't like the current system because it's extremely unrealistic. But I don't believe a revamp of the rank system is on the list of things to do at this time.

You gain ranks by gaining skill points, so rank is an indication of how experienced a soldier it. Rank also ties in to morale; a higher ranked soldier will boost the morale of lower ranked soldiers around him. However, if he dies, then they will lose more morale too.

As far as the actual ranks used, PVT, CPL, ... COL, they're "unrealistic" and what not, because you wouldn't put a field officer like a colonel in a combat situation like the ground missions. However, Chris doesn't see that logical inconsistency as important (and frankly, if you don't care about player satisfaction and only about gameplay mechanics, it isn't) so he's not going to do anything about it, as far as I know.

There have been mods released to rename the ranks; I made one (with the graphical help of cspruce) that changed ranks to more of experience indicators. Basically, everyone has the same "rank" or responsibility (killing aliens), but they are given experience indicators to let newer xenonauts know who's good, and who hasn't proven themselves in battle yet. It was fairly simple naming structure, Xenonaut-0 for news (who haven't proven themselves yet), Xenonaut-1 for "newly inducted" Xenonauts (who have had a mission or two and proven themselves), Xenonaut-2, Xenonaut-3, ... up to Xenonaut-7 for the most experienced level a Xenonaut can attain. Even the commander of the Xenonauts (you, the player), is an X-7 (in the lore of my mod).

Here's the mod page:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/6454-True-Xenonaut-Rank-Names-and-Images