Xenonauts on TV Tropes

There is a Xenonauts article on the most important (or at least most addictive) website on the internet: tvtropes.org. It can be seen right here.

Having said that, this article is still rather modest in size right now, despite the efforts of some editors (like yours truly). There are also very little links to this article from other TV Tropes articles, especially actual trope pages.

Therefore, I would like to encourage everyone to put some effort into expanding the Xenonauts entry. The reason isn't just to have fun doing so, although reading and editing TV Tropes is immensely enjoyable to many people. The actual purpose is to simply create more buzz for the game, as TV Tropes seems to have a high traffic of mass culture consumers in general, and therefore would be a great way to further promote the game. I myself have gotten into various products, like games or movies, through TV Tropes, and I'm fairly sure it works for others as well.

While I will continue working on the entry, help is greatly appreciated. Or just come and read the thing, it'd be nice too.

Don't know who wrote that particular intro part, but I thought Xeno was always considered more of a "re-imagining" rather than just a "remake?" Or am I just being to critical with the terminology here?

Well, I'm not an English native speaker and honestly I don't feel like doing extensive research on this right now, but I think "remake" is an accurate and fair word. Remakes are not necessarily exact copies.

The 2012 UFO game, on the other hand, is hardly a remake, because it differs too much. It's more of a "re-imagining", IMHO.

Don't know who wrote that particular intro part, but I thought Xeno was always considered more of a "re-imagining" rather than just a "remake?" Or am I just being to critical with the terminology here?

Eh, "re-imagining" is more a personal label Chris England likes to call it than anything. Xenonauts is a "re-make" of the original X-COM game if you're going by what words actually mean. Not criticizing, just pointing out (Hell, the updated UI would be enough to make me buy this game if they'd simply ported over everything else almost as-is). Some things are changed here and there, compensating for the passage of time and advancements in computer and design technology, with some aesthetic shifts for the same reason: different consumer expectations, plus the fact we can simply do better these days. Xenonauts is less the complete rebuild he purports it as than it is taking an old car in, getting it re-upholstered, replacing some old engine and body parts that are rusted out, throwing on some new paint, and tossing in a couple aftermarket options. It's the same car, same model, just... updated and renovated. Xenonauts is hardly the re-imagining and tossup of basic concepts from X-COM 1994 that XCOM 2012 is, and I love Xenonauts for that.

Wasn't there a funny video moment where Xenonauts was also considered to be a re imagining. Personally, I don't think it makes the slightest difference. It's only the quality of either that counts for me.

Nooooo! Don't take away our semantic wars! What are we gonna do without them?!

On a side note, I'm trying to include Xenonauts in various trope pages now. It's taking a surprising amount of time.

Well, arguably a remake would definitely be a reboot of the same game ('12 X-COM) because "Remake implies that the original IP is being used as a basis, but being "REMADE" contemporarily.

Pop-Culture Example: "Batman Begins" is a remake/redo/reboot/etc. of the Batman Origin story.

"Flying Mammal Aeronautical Assault-Man" Would be a... re-imagining. (I'd watch that)

Re-imagining is exactly what Xeno is, since Goldhawk does not own the Intellectual property of X-Com(bloody unfortunate if you ask me), and thus therefore re-imagine a similar game in their own image(imagining).

That's my English. Hope it helps.