I have a small problem with my grenades, specifically the flash-bang (FB). I am assuming these are holes in my understanding and not bugs.

So I am testing away with: suppressionValue="100" suppressionRadius="5"

But what I am seeing is that the radius does not appear to be in squares. When used on a Sebillian non-com (is the second mission of a new game), with two FBs dropped 1 square away from the target, it reacts to both but is not suppressed. So a third lands two squares away, and the alien ignores it (or at least did not react with the animation of being hit, or the standard hiss), and is still not suppressed.

So the first question concerns the radius, and to how it is actually handled.

The second question is if the weapons_gc.xml values are stored in the save game, or are they read when the game is launched? If it is the latter then they can be modified during a tactical mission, and a restart will adopt the changes. Otherwise the mission must be re-launched to test alterations.

My last question concerns Suppression and Bravery. My understanding from the forum is that Bravery is the value that gets reduced when Suppression fire comes in. With a Bravery score of 40 and the FBs having the standard 100 Suppression effect and range of 5, how can two FBs landing 1 square away not have suppressed the Sebillian? It has a Resilience of 48 in case that it taken into account.

The only special thing to note is that I have added 5 points to all types of armour. Even should the grenade effects have a cubic drop-off, I do not see it being the explanation unless armour rating is categorical instead of linear.

Cheers!

Edited by 4Aces

Writing from my experience with v19.x:

The second question is if the weapons_gc.xml values are stored in the save game, or are they read when the game is launched? If it is the latter then they can be modified during a tactical mission, and a restart will adopt the changes. Otherwise the mission must be re-launched to test alterations.

Don't know about weapons_gc.xml, but when I've done testing with the armour files and config.xml loading up a game mid-combat did *not* read the modded files and I had to start a new GC. I would assume it to be the same with weapons_gc.xml too.

My last question concerns Suppression and Bravery. My understanding from the forum is that Bravery is the value that gets reduced when Suppression fire comes in. With a Bravery score of 40 and the FBs having the standard 100 Suppression effect and range of 5, how can two FBs landing 1 square away not have suppressed the Sebillian? It has a Resilience of 48 in case that it taken into account.

The only special thing to note is that I have added 5 points to all types of armour. Even should the grenade effects have a cubic drop-off, I do not see it being the explanation unless armour rating is categorical instead of linear.

Cheers!

My understanding is that suppression uses only the unit's Bravery stat as a base. But I derive this only from these forums. However, what experience I have of the game suggests this is the mechanic being used, though.

What you've described therefore seems odd. Armour is quantitative, not categorical, so an armour value of 5 should reduce the suppression value of the attack by 5 (according to the mechanics described on the forum). So, no reason why two FBs shouldn't have suppressed the target (one should have been enough). Sounds like a bug, based on my (no necessarily correct!) understanding of the rules.

WJ - Sorry about that, it is for 18.51hf3. I want to get the fundamentals down on the stable version before I try to translate it to 19.

Kabill - I have now tested it thoroughly. It is just like the armour file, it needs to reinitialize the mission to take effect.

As for the suppression effect, it does appear to be a bug. Changing the value to 1500 did nothing for Suppression, but it did work for Stunning also cranked to 1500, but it is still not working properly. I had one of my units drop a flash bang with Stunning of 1500 only two squares away from her own position, and she was not stunned. This is the first mission in a new game, so she does not even have armour yet. Strangely, a unit that was three squares away was Suppressed by that same grenade.

Oh well, I guess I will just mod the FBs to something else then.

Edit - Quick update. I just pumped the Range on the Suppression to 25, and it only suppresses the target if it is a direct hit. So basically the Range is non-functional most of the time. I tossed a few right beside my own units and while there was a reaction (animation and audio) by no Suppression. Since Matt is not interested in my other v18 reports, I will wait until I update this V19 (probably in week) before reporting it.

Edited by 4Aces