Ways to Balance Grenades

@Kabill

Holy crap.

I knew suppression is OP, but after looking at the numbers, I realize that it is INSANELY OP.

And it becomes clear why Snipers and Grenades have been the topic of nerfing as of late.

I put together a nerfed suppression and soldier accuracy boosted mod and if you looked at the numbers you'd say suppression was massively nerfed.

But in game you'd say hey this is a little better, suppression is a little reduced, nothing major but it is definitely better and makes for a more interesting game...a step in the right direction.

My mind is blown by the fact that with Ballistics you can suppress every enemy in the game with 1-3 shots.

The suppression seems somewhat based on TU values...which is weird.

On my rebalance I based it on...bullets. More bullets = more suppression.

I mean damn, pre 19-5 Sniper rifles are highest accuracy, have hypervelocity so they can mitigate cover, have great damage, best range, and generally the best suppression depending on Soldier TUs.

Why wouldnt you just load up on them?

Not to mention its very easy to see why shotguns suck.

They offer virtually no advantage other than +15 damage over a Rifle and have half the range.

So maybe for inside a UFO they'd be better, but only slightly and not enough so that they are even remotely worth the inventory space.

Edited by Mytheos

Awesome. How much did you change the suppression values, out of wonder?

Its essentially 10 per bullet

Pistol = Unaltered for now

Rifle = 20 to 10, burst = 40 to 30

Shotgun = 15 to 20

Sniper = 40 to 10

Machine Gun = Same, 40. (5 bullets should = 50 but...I felt sticking to 40 was fine)

Grenades = 60 to 25/30

I reduced flash and Shock as well, but need to test still.

Also increased the Suppression regen per turn from 25 to 35...however I just turned it up to 50 to test that.

I also gave Aliens increased Bravery (Suppression Points) from +10 to +20 on average. (Mostly the lower level ones, so far, gave a big increase to Androns, Reapers and Zombies.

19.6 done well with grenades, damage medium is much better then the stable version.

- Range could be slightly larger like mentioned above

- Weight should be a little more since I can pack a whole lot of them into my backpack (as long as the damage stays high enough, the weight increase is a welcome change)

I have not noticed any difference however when I pack the grenade into the belt or in backpack slot. It would be nice to have a penalty TU for backpack items so grenades in the belt become more valuable and the decision to put a pistol or stun baton there more meaningful.

Edited by zolobolo