Idea: Being Supressed Improves Soldiers Bravery

Hi guys, just a suggestion - I know the bravery mechanic isn't fleshed out yet but it's a fairly static stat at the moment and only affected by psionic attacks and medals. It'd be a really nice touch in my opinion if being under heavy fire makes a soldier more brave over time, say every time they get suppressed they gain a progression point in bravery.

After 20 missions most soldiers would have a 1000 yard stare, leaning against a wall chewing a cigar while it rains plasma and rookies are hugging the dirt like starfish.

Shellshock?

Another mechanic idea: If they get suppressed too often, however, you could add a Shell-shock injury type, where their Bravery is halved for a duration of up to 30 days depending on how often they've been shot at. this condition could also be applied if more than 50% of the team get wiped etc. I dunno if that's too realistic but it would be a nice optional for those of us who like punishing game play. I'd tick that box.

Getting bravery for being suppressed I like. At least until psionics show up, the main function of Bravery appears to be resisting suppression* so it makes sense that suppression would develop it (and, to me, makes more sense than getting braver as a result of being absolutely terrified which seems like it's more likely to cause PTSD than courage!).

* I know it affects morale, too, but I've yet to see soldiers panic other than when I shot to death half my squad one turn testing game mechanics.

Shellshock?

Another mechanic idea: If they get suppressed too often, however, you could add a Shell-shock injury type, where their Bravery is halved for a duration of up to 30 days depending on how often they've been shot at. this condition could also be applied if more than 50% of the team get wiped etc. I dunno if that's too realistic but it would be a nice optional for those of us who like punishing game play. I'd tick that box.

You could even take that to the next terrifying level, and make all stats more fluid, rising and falling depending on what the soldier does:

Jimmy sits around the base all day eating doritos? Loses some stamina.

Start sending him out every mission? He gets stressed out and stalks around your base with an assault rifle making all the 'bad things' go away. You lose some soldiers, and a few scientists....

I don't think I'd tick that particular box...

Start sending him out every mission? He gets stressed out and stalks around your base with an assault rifle making all the 'bad things' go away. You lose some soldiers, and a few scientists....

Say "hi" to the commissar when you see him for me, would you?

Interesting thought on the thread. I'd like ot know a bot more about how it would balance against the alien psionics though. They barely use them currently, so making that even harder may be an issue.

As for soldier stress, one of the base facilities could have been a sort of rec room type thing so the troops could work out their problems. The mental side of the medical bay.