First Impressions - Bluedrake42

Just played my first hour of the game, and while it is VERY buggy (which is expected, cause its alpha) I really enjoyed the Xcom feel. Not only does Xenonauts retain the same gameplay mechanics that made Xcom great, it expands upon them in ways I felt Xcom lacked and that the community yearned for. Overall I think the Xenonauts team has their finger on the pulse of the Xcom fanbase, and that makes me very happy.

However with that said, there are a few things that I felt were lacking.

First of all weapon management. Early game weapons appear to be infinite, and this really feels off. I really miss the purchase menu of the old Xcom games, and I would like to see a return of that. Xcom was all about base management, and I think taking out resource management of early game items detracts from that.

Secondly, the user interface... and overall layout. A lot of things, such as the combat interface, work beautifully... and are very intuitive. However other things, such as the base menu screens, and even the post-combat analysis screens, are rather clunky and confusing. The menu is nowhere near as graceful as Xcom's, I think a lot could be done to streamline and simplify the base management screen. In addition, after a battle... the analysis said 45,000$ total sales. What do sales have to do with combat? Did I just automatically sell the equipment I recovered or something?

These are really the only two gripes I had about the game, and I understand that its an early build (however that only gives me more reason to voice my concerns now =P) so ultimately all I have to say is good job! and keep up the good work! I think we only have up to go from here =)

Actually...it entered Beta a couple of months ago...

1. Weapons:

Yeah...it's kind of strange how the world governments that are depending on you to defend Earth are giving you every bit of small arms power they have :P. All jokes aside, I know how you feel, though I've somewhat come to accept it. It just means something a little less micromanagy and saves funds for those oh-so-expensive Laser weapons tech.

2. UI:

Don't worry, UI's gonna receive an overhaul in the future. As for sales, any captured weapon/artifact that is a duplicate of something you've already captured is immediately sold. As for using captured Xenos weapons tech, think of it as arming a professional marksman with a broadsword. Your solder would be able to hurt stuff, but the trade-offs are a lot worse, so a need to develop better weapons tech appears.

Pre-1st: Technically it's in beta, not alpha. Just saying. ;)

1st: It was decided that human weapons would be free, since you can assume the funding nations aren't going to charge you for each individual weapon you get. Later weapons you build yourself. Also, cost isn't going to be the main thing keeping you from taking an armory into combat in each backpack; weight is. It's going to be balanced more as time progresses; it'll be good. :)

2nd: a) The UI is about to get a huge overhaul with a shiny new GUI update. This should resolve most problems.

b) After a battle: the equipment you recovered is sold, yes, besides the first of every kind (first plasma pistol you find, first plasma cell you find, first rifle, etc) which is sent to the research lab. These are sold because they're designed for aliens to use, not humans, and are thus extremely bulky, unintuitive, and difficult to wield with any degree of effectiveness. The human weapons you research and construct are built for humans, and thus are different from the alien plasma weapons.

That being said, you can actually pick up an alien weapon and use it in combat; it deals good damage, but has atrocious accuracy because your soldiers aren't aliens, they don't have alien physiology, and can't use the weapons effectively as a result. They're good for when you run out of ammo, though.

Oh don't get me wrong I understand the lore reasons for having infinite weapons, just from a gameplay standpoint its kindof disappointing =/

like for instance... if you get infinite free weapons... don't you think you would also get infinite free recruits and scientists too? it just kinda messes with the balance

Also I understand the reasons why you auto-sell weapons, but once again, I'd like to have the choice. It would be nice to decide whether you want to use bulky weird weapons, or sell them. IDK from a balance gameplay standpoint, a lot of this stuff is really wonky.

I don't like games that force decisions for you, true keeping alien weapons would probably be a bad idea, but I want to be the one to figure that out and make that choice... not the game.

Edited by Bluedrake42

like for instance... if you get infinite free weapons... don't you think you would also get infinite free recruits and scientists too? it just kinda messes with the balance

You also get instantly upgraded base facilities, but not for all of them.

You also get instantly updated aircraft missiles, regardless of alenium stores, but not aircraft cannons.

You also get infinite grenades, incorporating alien technology, but still have to manufacture your individual weapon upgrades.

Also I understand the reasons why you auto-sell weapons, but once again, I'd like to have the choice. It would be nice to decide whether you want to use bulky weird weapons, or sell them. IDK from a balance gameplay standpoint, a lot of this stuff is really wonky. I don't like games that force decisions for you, true keeping alien weapons would probably be a bad idea, but I want to be the one to figure that out and make that choice... not the game.

Agree completely with this. It was one of my first thoughts on the game. You can read more on that here and in a later thread here.

What i don t understand is... if we have infinite why soldiers are so expensive. Nobody willing to save the earth, get out of boredoom, acquire fame and have an unique experience for its regular salary ?

The large possibility (and quite frankly, inevitable) of a grizzly death by being cooked by a bolt of superheated plasma as well as fighting against a completely technologically superior opponent doesn't appeal to people? Who'd have thought?

Especially when you'd be working with people who, only yesterday, were your sworn enemies and would have killed at the drop of a hat.

sgt thothkins: Sir! Sir! chrysalids in the kitchen! chrysalids!

Cdr Stellarat: What? Where?

sgt thothkins: There! In the corner!

Cdr Stellarat: I can't see anything!

sgt thothkins: They've miniaturised them for infiltration sir.

Cdr Stellarat: Those are cockroaches, thothkins. Get a grip.

sgt thothkins: Gah! Our planet is under attack from evil insects. They must be destroyed! >goes into battle<

Cdr Stellarat: I' don't think we can even say "Chrysalid" round here either...

hehe he what the Commissar doesn't know is that thothkins is shooting the ovens until a barbecue pit is installed.

Then it's over to the Buddhist Civilians thread. Heh heh. As long as thothkins keeps quiet about it, no one will ever kno...D'Oh!

Gah! miniature Chrysalid! sorry, Reaper! Miniature Reaper!

Great news! The Commander has decided to install a new barbecue pit!

It'll be located in the barracks. Specifically Thothkins' bunk.

hmmm, my bed is nice and snugly tonight. Aw, the guys must have put on an extra blanket for me. They must really love me...

>whoosh<