New Xenonaut Rank Names and Images (artists, please help with images)

GizmoGomez

[EDIT]

Here is the thread with the link and instructions:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/6454-True-Xenonaut-Rank-Names-and-Images

[/EDIT]

Hi all you talented people out there!

So, in essence, I'm making a mod that changes the ranks from actual military ranks (private, corporal, etc) to Xenonaut-specific ranks. (Just the names and rank icons are changing, no balancing done, nothing. Just getting that made clear.)

The ranks are:

(lowest)

Xenonaut-0 (X0)

Xenonaut-1 (X1)

Xenonaut-2 (X2)

Xenonaut-7 (X7)

(highest)

In parenthesis are the short names, the abbreviations of the rank.

To Artists

So, I'm not an artist, and I'd love to have nice looking rank insignias for this mod I'm putting together.

My request is that the rank insignias be made very simple (look up the Mass Effect N7 insignia for an example of simplicity).

The image should just have the X# in white on a black background, and a semi-thick stripe of color (pick your own, whatever you think looks cool) on the left, behind the left two thirds, half (whatever) of the X.

Alternately, make your own icons.

Here's your change to shine!

Alter-Alternately, if no one wants to make some, I can see what I can do, though it'll probably look kinda nasty. :(

If anyone wants to read my background for the ranks, here it is.

It's in the spoiler tag to keep the post from getting too long.

The troops coming into the Xenonauts are all equal now. Their past experiences and ranks are meaningless. A colonel could become subordinate to a corporal if the corporal is better out in combat.

When the soldiers first arrive, they are ranked as X0s. (Speaking "Ex-naught", or informally, Xeno-NOT)

They are zeros when they arrive because they've not proven themselves out in the battlefield yet, and thus they get a zero as their rank.

Once they've completed a mission or two, and proven themselves, they become full-fledged Xenonauts, earning the rank of Xenonaut-1 (X1) (speaking "Ex-one", or informally, "baby brother/sister"). They are now a part of the family, the brotherhood (with sisters too ;)) as it were. Still low ranked, because while they've proven themselves, they don't have much experience.

Upon reaching Xenonaut-7, the soldier is the epitome of the best humanity and the Xenonauts have to offer.

Xenonaut-7 (X7) (speaking "Ex-Seven", informally "Ex-sevendary", "Ex-Legendary", "Commander")

The Commander of the Xenonauts (the player) is an X7 rank, and any soldiers who rise to that lofty rank have earned the right to take over from the current Commander if he/she dies, or is otherwise unable to do his/her duty (never happens in game, but it's there for the fun of the lore).

Anyway, hope people like the idea!

Edited by GizmoGomez

Haha, we've got a backer, people!

Actually, in my opinion the game should have this kind of a thing by default. The Xenonauts are special, we don't need those lame "normal" military ranks. We've progressed beyond such things. The only rank you have is how much you've proved yourself in combat. And even then, everyone is equal beyond that. Some are more experienced, and so they get an indicator telling newbies they're who they should ask questions of.

*modestly bows head and smiles shyly*

Gee, thanks. :)

I like the idea, yeah. One thing I realized a few minutes ago was the fact that higher ranks don't get paid any more. This reenforces the idea that they're all considered equal, just some are more experienced and thus have little numbers attached to their title "Xenonaut".

Anyway, I'd be honored (and very pleased :)) if this made it into the game. Hopefully Chris likes it. :)

Gizmo, by now you know what Im capable of. I can do this for you, it shouldn't take longer than a couple hours depending on the source images provided. Ill give you an updated XML as well that will work with V19 build 4. I will message you when I get home from the airport to discuss the images you want. I need a clear understanding of how you want it to look so have some source images and ill take care of this for you today.

Haha, we've got a backer, people!

Actually, in my opinion the game should have this kind of a thing by default. The Xenonauts are special, we don't need those lame "normal" military ranks. We've progressed beyond such things. The only rank you have is how much you've proved yourself in combat. And even then, everyone is equal beyond that. Some are more experienced, and so they get an indicator telling newbies they're who they should ask questions of.

+1 here Gizmo ...

I could care less about rank "titles" ... With the old system, I can hear the conversation between two Major's in the barracks ;

Major Cowboy says, "So, Major Nummnuts, how did you get promoted?"

Major Nummnuts says, "Easy, during every mission I ran around the map increasing my TUS ... How about you?"

Major Cowboy replies, "I ran up to an alien and hog-tied the grey sob!"

Keep the ideas coming there Gizmo ;)

does anyone else think it looks like every soldier is sponsored by a news network?

"And that was Sgt thothkins in the alien base, courtesy of Network 7. Now over to Clara with the weather, sponsored by Bannerman Bunkers. Protect your home from alien blasts & bombs with Bannerman!"

good luck with this idea guys (even if I preferred the other way) :)

I refer my honourable forum colleague to the large N7 image in the options available for me to see above.

What's that? Source image? Sorry the Network 7 satellite must be getting taken out by alien attacks. You >bzzz< breaking up >chzzzzzzzz<

:) thanks for taking it in good fun.

No, I can do the xml, if you'd like. What all would you do, anyway?

All I know of is changing the rank names from the standard to the new ones in strings.xml. Would you do something more than that, or is that basically it?

Ha, actually, I already did that much; changing strings to make the ranks proper.

Oh wow, talk about coincidence! Thats actually spooky. I just started a thread with the exact same thing in mind.

I thought I'd browse similar threads to see what other people were doing - but I had no idea someone had already done it specifically X0 -X7

I'd better leave these here then and delete my other thread, it;s kinda redundant :3

All yours mate!

0.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

0.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

0.png.433399ac94c8a7c5dc30b31e854a62e6.p