Bad "Alien Turn" Camera Behaviour - Post Here!

Anything that happens in the player's view should be focused on, basically. So you'd have to populate the vision cones for all player soldiers, then show any events happening within that space.

If it's not in those vision cones, it should populate the hidden movement screen.

What should happen to the players view when "Hidden Movement" is happening? Leave it where it is or return it to certain point?

I'd leave it where the last event happened. Imagine the scenario where an alien moves into view, realises that this is a bad place to hang around, and nips back into the black fog of war. Having the camera move to some other point after that would feel jarring, since a view shift indicates something's happened; I'd ask myself, "Why did the camera move just then? Did something happen that I should know about?"

I'd agree with Stinky.

Also, I guess a slight camera bug - the end of an alien's turn always seems to be cut. The Hidden Movement screen will come back up when an alien is turning/crouching at the end of their move, for example. This can be important if you want to know which way they're facing to avoid reaction fire!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this is the same, BUT i played a game in the latest build where an INVISIBLE ALIEN was firing from point blank range and killed one of my guys. I had members of the team looking EXACTLY in the direction of where the shots were fired from & STILL could NOT see the alien....THIS seems to be a bug.

Don't know if this is the same, BUT i played a game in the latest build where an INVISIBLE ALIEN was firing from point blank range and killed one of my guys. I had members of the team looking EXACTLY in the direction of where the shots were fired from & STILL could NOT see the alien....THIS seems to be a bug.

sounds like some missing sprites for that alien. did you find him by mousing over the area? If you killed him did you go over to the corpse and opened the inventory? THat way you can inspect what race, rank and what weapon he was using.

It would help to know that piece of information so that the devs can make sure it isn't missing.

• 1 month later...

I've been noticing this funny behavior too, I will try to pay exact attention to what happens, but it seems to me that after one of my guys takes a reaction shot, the hidden movement screen comes up even if it shouldn't, even if other soldiers of mine are taking more reactions shots (usually (maybe always?) at a different alien). But it only happens sometimes, not all the time, so I don't know what the deciding factor is there. I'll try to create some saves in hopes that I can get some where this tends to happen. Though I don't know how to share a save file, I am sure there is a tread about that somewhere...

• 4 weeks later...

The saved game is here : http://ge.tt/9Tgs6m71/v/0

It is enough to just hit 'End Turn'. An alien will appear on the road, soldiers will reaction-fire at it, but the 'Hidden Movement' screen will cover it. The alien is actually visible, since it's to the side of the screen (I play in 1920x1080 resolution), but the soldiers shooting will be covered. The 'Hidden Movement' screen only goes away after the alien turns to fire back.

• 2 weeks later...

The hidden movement is still not disappearing quite fast enough.

Hidden movement.jpg

The sebillian at the bottom left of the screen has just walked though the wall (separate bug) and about three of my guys are reaction firing at him.

The hidden movement screen does not go away until he starts an action within view. So, if he takes one more step, I will see it fine.

Hidden movement.jpg

577e7cc6e75b7_Hiddenmovement.thumb.jpg.a

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In V1.03, I have had a couple of reaction fires coming out of the darkness, and I can hear my soldiers crying out in pain, but the unit that is hit is not shown on the screen. The edge of the view is really close to the soldier, maybe just one or two squares away, so you see the fire streaking across the screen, but not the point of impact.