Really early research bug?

Hi, I'm new to Xenonauts (but a big original X-Com fan) and just wondering if this is a bug:

I started a new game and just happened to get a really early landed UFO that happened prior to researching the initial Invasion. When I got back with the Light Scout and corpse (forgot the name) they both automatically got researched and popped up as results some time later. This is without me having to select them, and happened before the Invasion initial research was complete.

Is that meant to happen?

Hi yanman,

Just to add that it was felt that having to spend research time on the craft and the initial autopsy wouldn't be worth it, so they were made automatic.

Thik of it as the initial alien examination either being done hastily on site, or on the Chinook home, while the retrieval team back on site (the guys you see in the end of mission screen in hazmat suits) communicate details of the craft across to you.

Hi yanman,

Just to add that it was felt that having to spend research time on the craft and the initial autopsy wouldn't be worth it, so they were made automatic.

Thik of it as the initial alien examination either being done hastily on site, or on the Chinook home, while the retrieval team back on site (the guys you see in the end of mission screen in hazmat suits) communicate details of the craft across to you.

Rationalizing a...less than good...decision. Nice try Commander.

yanman, it used to be that you had to research alien autopsies. You even got a damage bonus for doing it. The best way to understand why Chris made autopsy/ufo research automatic is to make them not automatic. In your researches.xml file, look for: Researches.CaesanAutopsy, Researches.SebillianAutopsy, Researches.AndronDisassembly, Researches.AlienLightScoutDatacore, Researches.AlienScoutDatacore and Researches.AlienCorvetteDatacore, which are the early game alien lore researches. In each case, set the days research from 0 to say, 10 or 15. Then restart the game with that adjustment. If you want to know more about that decision, here's the discussion that lead to it.

• Like 1

Rationalizing a...less than good...decision. Nice try Commander.

thanks ThunderGr. I'm getting feeling that it will be good practice. :)

Honestly, I'd prefer all research to lead somewhere. It almost did in the OG (to varying degrees - see previous threads on research) leading to a rich back story.

In this case there is still Caesian and Sebillian analysis, so the autopsy part here was a little superficial. There's much, much less of a link between capturing aliens and getting goodies of ship and mission research here. Do others miss it? was it superfluous?

There's much, much less of a link between capturing aliens and getting goodies of ship and mission research here. Do others miss it? was it superfluous?

I miss it, for one. I think it was essential. Even XCOM2012 had it. After stripping so much in the name of making a simple game that everyone would like to play with a low learning curve, I think keeping it says a lot.

Honestly, I'd prefer all research to lead somewhere. It almost did in the OG (to varying degrees - see previous threads on research) leading to a rich back story.

I don't know what you're talking about. Alien entertainment was ALWAYS worth it. How else would I know who's clone-baby tried to kill Zorblax in "Days of Our Galaxies"?