Geoscape Events

methods as a government

The situation is hopeless. There is a UN meeting. Xenonauts just play a role of expert. For example there are 3 options:

- Suggest to use already introduced measures and wait for better tech

- Use already introduced measures and give a proof that you will be able to intercept more ufos

- Suggest to exterminate areas

You suggestion would only add 20-30% weight to 1/2 random

The problem can appear if you have more then 50 alien crafts landed and not intercepted on the whole globe.

1% chance per month + 0.1% per ufo.

If you choose not to exterminate then every country would get +1% to make a pact with alliens per month. And more horrible consequences in case you fail to change the situation dramatically. If you choose to exterminate you will have a score drop and possibly smth else.

---

Also i imagine Xenonauts with no nukes. Atomic bombs are not under player's control but countries can use them when needed.

P.S.: All this probabilities should not be shown to player in % way.

Edited by KOKON

Okim and MrPyro: you're suggesting a weapon with lower explosive yield when the aliens in the inceland incident did not get killed by radiation? for all we know the radiation wouldnt even be able to penetrade the hull of their spacecrafts. I realize I dont know how common radiation sources are in space, I think I've been influenced by hollywood in that aspect to think they are more common then they might acctually be. But wouldn't shielding from radioation be crutial on a spaceship?

And technically the neutron bomb would cause just as severe ecological effects as hydrogen bombs unless used on urban targets, and then it would kill humans as well since there's no way anyone had a chance to evacuate. I'm not fond of the idea of useing dirty weapons at all. I wish they weren't used in the iceland incident either, but the use in panic against a previously never before seen unknown threat over international waters are much more reasonable then planned attacks on targets within yours or friendly borders.

About genocide: Why would you need to exterminate everyone? Why not just incarcerate them and let them go through a blood screening or something. If you still cant determine who is who just keep them imprisoned (although that has a bit of WW2 labour camp feel to it). Exterminateing everyone cannot be good for a government. Killing thousands of humans to get to hundereds of aliens isn't good PR ever.

Edited by Gorlom

Gor are you against horror? What if aliens have skinned every person in sweden and will eat alive those who is not dead yet? Or ok in some other corner of the world with no aircover. Would you care to drop a 20k tactical bomb in tundra in this case?

In modern total war the key things are tank wedges and carpet atomic bombings.

Edited by KOKON

It'd be nice to make the Events system open-ended. I'm sure we will before the end of beta, actually. It'd be cool to see what people can come up with if given access to it.

Re: nukes and all that. The story behind the terror strikes in the final game will basically be the Xenonaut strike teams are being sent in to secure the area before a small nuke is dropped on the affected area to make sure the aliens are all destroyed. Just to up the stakes a bit. It does make sense to an extent, especially given the existence of a Chryssalid-style alien in the game.

If someone wants to mod in a super-high-stakes version of Xenonauts, fair enough. Vanilla Xenonauts won't be too bleak though - I do quite like bleakness but there's limits to how far you can go and still retain popular appeal. However games like DEFCON do that sort of thing in a relatively tasteful way so it's certainly not impossible.