V19 Experimental Build 3 available!

Understanding why is different than approving the reason, Chris, as you know. I have said, pretty much, the same things on that thread about the issue. I still cannot see why do you not tie it to the difficulty level, though. If it is just as simple as turning it on or off with a switch, it is very reasonable to expect it would be easy to tie to the difficulty level, without the need for anyone to mod it. Just disabling autoresolve in the higher difficulty levels and removing the "auto-recovery" at the same time would keep all people happy without the need to implement/change anything else.

Orangehat - I disagree about needing a PR guy.

Mytheos - there's already been a 20 page thread discussing the Indestructible Interceptors. A lot of the forum regulars contributed there and there was a mixed reaction to the idea, some liked it and some did not. My reasoning is in there, and the fact I've already discussed it at length means I'm not really willing to do it again.

It's probably worth reading that for full details, as I made the decision to implement the interceptor change after that thread and that's why I'm possibly being a bit over-sensitive about the complains in this thread (as they've already been debated to death).

However, I'll give a quick summary here.

The pros are:

• Mistakes in the air combat are less likely to ruin your game than mistakes in the ground combat or strategic level of the game, fitting the two main parts of the original X-Com formula.

• Aircraft can be "big ticket" items that are significantly more expensive and time consuming to build than weapons and armour (realistic), without also completely financially ruining the game if one is lost.

• It's much easier to balance, and makes progression smoother and will let us produce a more tightly balanced and exciting Geoscape invasion.

• If players lose aircraft due to an auto-resolve in a battle they think they should have won, it'll be hugely frustrating. It'll be very difficult to produce an auto-resolve system that can accurately account for all of the situations and also match player's expectations of the results of a combat. Therefore I only really think auto-resolve will work if we have invulnerable interceptors.

The cons are:

• It can be immersion breaking for some players (partially negated by referring to it as a "crash land", with the Xenonauts recovering the crashed chassis and fixing it up over a prolonged period).

• Some people see it as dumbing down the game (partially negated by the fact that a significant "repair" time penalty for shot down interceptors means losing planes will still hurt).

As I say, you can read the full thread for the earlier discussion but that's a summary. To be honest, I'm pretty sure there'd only be about 10% of the current fuss about the system had we referred to it as "Xenonauts recover crashed interceptors and repair them over a couple of weeks" rather than "invulnerable interceptors" but internally we've been referring to it as indestructible interceptors and that's what Aaron put in his patch notes.

Wow Chris, what can I say.... you should have just fully ignored my comment if that's all you were going to address.... and again thats exactly why you need a pr guy. Time and time again you reply on these forums in the middle of a debate which you obviously are emotionally attached to and make a comment that is degrading to some or all of your community. And to simply blow off most of what I said is quite insulting to a customer I'll tell ya that.

And for any Xcom fan to read your last 'pro' for this system about if a player looses a plane in an auto resolve they thought they should have won? TOO BAD thats the risk you play when you click that button. Ever played a total war game? you can auto resolve a battle where you out number 2-1 and loose... reload play it out with out auto resolve and have a crushing victory.

I think everyone is a bit upset and has deep feelings about this situation.

But we shouldnt let that bring us to a point of attacking one another. This is a very good community far better than what is normally found throughout the internet.

19-4 is out now, lets take a break, relax and give it a try out. 8-)

I believe Chris has handled himself relatively well in light of there being many posts with the ultimately very same content. It would be very frustrating to acknowledge every single complaint individually and give a full written response, especially if it's all identical. And especially if they have an offensive undertone to begin with. He could have been more diplomatic, but if you already know he's not a PR expert, why hold him to the standards of a PR expert?

Also, the point of an autoresolve is to avoid a time-consuming and tedious task whose "normal" outcome is well known already. The gamble-aspect is unintentional and unavoidable for reasons he has outlined. Pretty damn sure the rubbish awkward autoresolve outcomes of Total War games you mentioned are not considered a feature of the game.

Though I've seen some more of those posts you mentioned and I agree at least some PR/diplomacy training would be good. Not saying I don't understand a developer getting freaking annoyed once in a while.

Edited by C. jejuni

Just disabling autoresolve in the higher difficulty levels and removing the "auto-recovery" at the same time would keep all people happy without the need to implement/change anything else.

You're wrong, there are plenty of people who play only Veteran/Insane who think Xcom was and Xenonauts should be much more about the ground combat and strategic management w/ the ac playing a minor part. Including myself. Not liking Air Combat being the most important part of the game doesn't mean you only want to play easy and normal difficulty. I don't even know why anyone would think that, but that change wouldn't keep all people happy. I would force myself to put up with the air combat before I would go play easy/normal just to avoid it, because if i play easy or normal, the strategic/tactical level is faceroll and pointless.

You're wrong, there are plenty of people who play only Veteran/Insane who think Xcom was and Xenonauts should be much more about the ground combat and strategic management w/ the ac playing a minor part. Including myself. Not liking Air Combat being the most important part of the game doesn't mean you only want to play easy and normal difficulty. I don't even know why anyone would think that, but that change wouldn't keep all people happy. I would force myself to put up with the air combat before I would go play easy/normal just to avoid it, because if i play easy or normal, the strategic/tactical level is faceroll and pointless.

OK, my bad. Keep the autoresolve, then, but remove the auto-recovery should keep everyone happy.

• 3 weeks later...
Perhaps we will remove the auto-recovery on Insane, we've not made a decision on it yet. I'm not necessarily averse to the idea but the difficulty settings aren't something we're concentrating on at the moment.

Hi Chris!

It's 4AM for me and I just registerd (something I loathe doing :) ) Just so I could comment on the subject.

How about this. Leave the old system in of the crashing planes etc and have both options.

When you start a new game allow me to choose difficulty. And then add another option of custom difficulty.

Here I'm able to choose which systems I prefer on and off.

It could affect many difficulty options not only the one about the crashing condors.

To summarize since I'm real sleepy and there is a chance you misunderstood me just have more options that way everyone is happy :D

Good night mate and Good Luck!